Uninvited guests

With her heart racing, Anya stormed out of the apartment, slamming the door behind her, and dashed down the stairs. She bumped into a girl, who exclaimed in surprise, but Anya didn't stop to apologize.

Anya needed to run. As fast as she could. As far as she could. Escape from these crazy people calling themselves aliens. Save herself before it was too late, before their lies set their jaws into Anya's heart and burned into her mind. Because that what was happening. Anya was on the verge of believing them. Believing Nikk.

We need to get rid of her..!

Daphne's words were the last thing Anya had heard. No, she needed to get rid of these maniacs-not otherwise.

Gasping for air, Anya stopped in the street. Dark clouds were low in the sky, heavy raindrops rattled on the roofs. She drew a deep breath, brushed the water from her face and headed in the direction of her home. If her home was in that direction at all-Anya's head was spinning with a million thoughts.

There were too many unexplainable things in Anya's life lately. And every unexplainable thing scares. That weird dream, then the bookshop, the theatre... And now this parcel?

The phone buzzed in her pocket. By mere instinct, Anya brought it out and looked at the screen blinking with a new message.

Call if something comes up.

Nikk.

"What?" Anya raised her head up to see the window of the daitias' apartment. "Where the hell did he get my numbe-" Her voice faltered, and her hand squeezed the phone harder. The author of the text was standing there and intently watching her.

The moment Nikk knew he was discovered, he nodded and disappeared, stepping away from the window.

"Ugh! No more fairytales!" Anya realized she said it out loud, but it was too late. At the bus stop, a woman stared at her in alarm.

Embarrassed, Anya dropped her head and hurried away.

This is ridiculous, she thought, shivering as the cold evening wind cut through her clothes, sending chill down her spine. This can't be for real. Making your life less boring is one thing, but turning it into madness? It's totally different. Or not?..

As Anya turned around the corner, she saw a bakery. Yes, a piece of sweet pie was exactly what she needed if she wanted to calm down and regain control over her boring, sane and comfortable life.

The aroma of fresh coffee filled Anya's nostrils when she walked in. The bakery was crowded with people clustering around the counter. Apparently, Anya was not the only one in a bad mood today.

"Hello then," she heard a woman's voice as she stood in the line. "It's Anya, right?"

She looked over her shoulder to see the stranger in a black trench coat queuing behind her.

"Hi," the woman's lips twisted into a smile, when she saw a spark of recognition in Anya's eyes. Her red hair falling down her shoulders like flames was hard to forget. "My name's Charna."

Anya's heart missed a beat.

"Leir wants to talk to you," Charna went on, looking around casually. "How about we go for a walk?"

"And where is Leir himself?" Anya's throat tightened and she stared at the counter with cookies as if she saw it for the first time in her life, swallowing the urge to scream.

Charna made a reluctant gesture. "Not far from here."

The line moved quickly. A young bakery clerk in a white apron worked swiftly, and was regularly rewarded with tips. His smile grew wider with every coin poured down the jar reading 'Saving for a unicorn'.