Chapter 3

The Creation-Doctor Who

Chapter 3- Tell me all about it

“Now Hazel, there is something important you must know when traveling with me.” The Doctor said as he was about to open the door of the blue box. He straightens his bow-tie and kept talking. “Rule number one, don’t run away.”

“Never.” I assured him as I took a hold of his hand. He gave me a sweet smile, opened the door, and my eyes saw wonder.

“You said you wanted to go to paradise. I assumed this is what paradise looks to you.” He pointed at what seemed to be an isolated beach. The skies were grey, but not dark. The air was nice and fresh for the lungs. I smiled, almost wanting to cry. Oh I knew this beach very well. My mum used to take me to this place all the time when I was little. I had stopped coming ever since she died.  “Although I do have to say, coming here is a bit hard to me.”

“Why?” my curiosity awoke. I had so many questions.

“That’s a story for another time.” His voice was bitter. Oh what a lonely man he was. He drifted away from the blue box, picked a good spot on top of a giant rock, right next to the water. The rock was big enough for both of us, but even so, our bodies were close to each other.

“Talking about stories-“ I started, shifting my position so I was looking at the Doctor straight in the eye. “What’s with the blue box, and the bow-tie, and all of this?”

“First of all Hazel, that is no ordinary box, it’s my TARDIS.” He emphasized “TARDIS” with so much pride.

“What’s that?”

“It stands for Time and relative dimension in space. It’s a time machine.”

That’s when I was fully convinced I was dreaming. Blue boxes, time machines, and a man wearing a bow tie (not that there was any problem with that, but…it just didn’t seem real.

“And the bow tie?”

“Bow ties are cool.” He said and I couldn’t do anything but giggle a bit. “Bow ties are cool.” I said, coping the tone and accent of his voice. He didn’t seem offended; instead, he just joined me for a good laugh. “Well, Doctor, I’m still not convinced that this is not real so you are going to have to do a better job at convincing me that you are real.”

The Doctor stayed silent for a while. I guessed he was collecting all his thoughts before speaking. He really wanted me to believe this was real. But I was no fool. That didn’t stop me from listening to a good story though.

I saw as the Doctor rested his back on the rock and crossed his long fingers against his chest. Not wanting to feel uncomfortable, I did the same, although I have to say, the feeling was not very pleasant. He didn’t say anything for a long time now, his eyes set on the grey sky. I was a bit tired of waiting, but I wasn’t going to tell him. No, instead, I reached for the palm of his hands and held it until he was ready to speak.

“I’m an alien. I am from the planet Galligrey. I don’t live there anymore though. You see, there was this war, and if I didn’t stop it, then time and space wouldn’t be the way we know it. So I had to make a choice.” His voice started to crack as if he wanted to cry, but he didn’t let himself tear up, not before finishing the story. I couldn’t drift my gaze away from him. “I killed them all, Hazel.” His voice was bitter, angry…and I felt guilty. It was as if I had awakened all these lost memories that were hidden deep inside his brain. “But anyway, that happened. I am an alien. I have to hearts. I travel through time and space, and I’ve been running all my life.”

“Running from what?” I whispered, but it was loud enough for him to hear.

“Because…if I stop running. Then I would stop amazing people, just like you Hazel.” He said, this time drifting his gaze from the sky and turning to look at me in the eye.

“Oh Doctor, but I am not important.” I chuckled a bit emphasizing the truth.

“900 years of time and space and I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important” (Doctor Who-Eleven doctor-not my quote). The doctor smiled, approaching me with a soft kiss on my left cheek.

I didn’t say anything, for there was nothing else to say.  Whether the Doctor, the TARDIS, Gallifrey, was true or not, this was a very good dream. After the doctor pulled away, we stayed there, resting on that rock, and all I kept thinking about was my strange dream. This dream of mine, which was so vivid, just like this one. Expect this dream was better. It was nice, to go from a dream were I’m so isolated and lost, to a dream were I can question everything with all the words I can think of. It was as if I was motivated to find myself. Ever sense my mum had died, I had become lost, and very afraid. The Doctor made me feel safe.

I know I had just met him. No! I had met him in all my other dreams. The Doctor was my friend, and I was his companion.

“Alright then, off we go.” The Doctor rapidly stood up from the rock, and helped me to get up. My back and butt were numb from the rock. I traced the words “ouch” in silence.

“Why do we have to go so early?” I whined, while making a funny face. The doctor laughed, took my hand and simply said, “Because it is right.” And off we went running together towards the TARDIS.

As I entered the TARDIS, I reminded myself how big the place was.

With enthusiasm, I walked around the room, and stopped in the middle and I saw that there was still more to do in the TARDIS.

"Doctor, I can go to ..." I started to say, but I could not help but notice that the Doctor did not lock the front door. He was there just standing there, looking out. I walked slowly without interrupting his concentration and I stood behind him. I stood in tip toes and in front of me, I saw people, two people to be exact. A man wearing sandshoes and a suit that for the fact looked well on him, and in front of him, stood a beautiful blonde girl wearing a navy blue jacket. She seemed to be crying. I couldn’t hear well what they were saying thanks to the waves and the air, but somehow, I could tell this was important for the Doctor to see. This was a memory of his.

What was my paradise, was part of the Doctors burden.

I broke my balance and crushed my feet to the ground, making a sharp noise; causing the Doctor to shut the door rapidly, and a bit violently. Feeling a bit embarrassed, I slowly walked away from the Doctor, and from a distance, I heard him whisper, “I love you.”

Maybe I was thinking aloud or something, but the stupidest words just came out of my mouth.

“Are you okay, Doctor?” Shut!

“Of course! Now, what’s next?” he said, putting his sad emotions to the side and coming towards me, our noses almost touching.

“Well, I wanted to explore the TARDIS, you know, convince myself it’s real.”

“Then what are we waiting for?” he spoke softly grabbing my hand. He then kissed the palm of my hand and said, “You are very important to me.”