Chapter 4

****

Laughter echoed all over the room, I heard my voice laughing, Rae's laughter. We laughed in the same manner; except sometimes when we were in different moods. Currently she was happy, while I was depressed. My eyelids automatically fluttered open as I tried to focus on her shadow. Shortly after that, my vision cleared and she came into view.

She looked like a replica of myself, from the prom; she still had on my dress, her hair was styled exactly like mine was; in a round bun, allowing wavy strands of hair to fall freely. The heavy eyeliner she'd applied and the, now smudged, kohl covered her eyes, bringing out the green of her eyes, exactly like mine. I wondered if I was staring at my own reflection in the mirror.

She sat down on my bed and held my hand in hers. They were of the same as mine. The expression on her face was of pure grief.

"What are you keeping from me Rae?" I asked, expecting the truth from her. For a while she seemed to be lost in her own thoughts. But she eventually began.

I'm sorry Amber, I'm really sorry- I shouldn't have done what I did... I liked Auberon since the day I saw him, at the, you know, function I attended at his college last month. He never saw me, but when I saw him with you, at the prom, I couldn't bear it. I fought with Taz, I feared he would choose you over me; so I pretended to be you and borrowed your dress, and indeed he asked me out, thinking it was you." she confessed guiltily.

"And after the accident I knew it was your car so I ran and called out your name, forgetting all about Auberon and my act, but you had fainted already and he found out what I did and... and..." she broke down.

"I'm sorry Amber, I really like him I was blind. I regret doing this to you... I was foolish, I hate myself." she said not meeting my eyes.

I squeezed her hand and smiled; at least I was not alone anymore.

"It's fine Rae, I understand, it's not your fault- look at me!" I touched her cheek and she bent down to hug me. I was relieved, I hadn't lost my sister.

"The doctor said you have a concussion by the way, and you have to rest for a few days before you can start driving again because the accident's impact was mainly on the upper part of your body." she put her hand on my arm, as she explained.

"Where is my car?" I asked.

"At the garage, it's not really damaged, just a few dents here and there. You'll get it by the end of the week." She carefully planted a kiss on my forehead and left the room. Feronia walked in, followed by Misky and Feyyana. They stayed for a while and told me stories. Though my mind wandered elsewhere. I thought of Rae and Auberon, they would make a good couple- the thought made my heart ache, it was as though I was imagining myself with him. Then, all of a sudden, Jacob crossed my mind. He left me right? So why should I suffer? I looked at my friends staring at me in wonder, I probably missed what they said.

My head started hurting. I looked at Misky and she got the hint.

Two hours later, Rae came by and took me home. I had never been inside her car, it felt awkward. It was messed up and girly; the seats were pink, as well as the steering wheel, empty cans and left overs were scattered everywhere. Dissimilar to mine, which was all black and neat. Not a single can nor any left over food. The interior of her car was entirely pink, whereas mine was absolutely black.

This time the ride home was not only quiet but also uncomfortable. There was an unknown distance between Rae and I. She smiled at me, as she continued driving in silence. She turned on the CD player. Nobody's home by Avril Lavigne played. She looked at me sadly but tried to hide the pain in her eyes, but I knew her too well. I squeezed her hand.