Chapter 3

Toby rested his shoulder against the ally wall and faced out towards the lamp lit street, a passing car bringing a tad more light every now and then. Him and his brother had traveled a few hours by car to go to a small town away from any major cities, as they usually did when Elijah forced Toby to eat.

He hated the whole idea of it. The finding someone, altering their thoughts, finding somewhere discrete, the biting, the drinking, the changing their minds to believe that the marks they gained on their bodies were normal, and then finally leaving like nothing had happened and their lives remain the same.

"We come here too often." He mumbled under his breath, knowing full well that Elijah could hear him as clear as day. He would have replied if his mouth wasn't stapled to the poor girl he'd lured into the ally.

They had a few towns that they had frequented since they moved to where they were currently set up, though they made sure that they all surrounded an area far away from there.

"Here." He heard Elijah from behind him and he sighed. There was no getting out of it. Either that or he would continue to get paler and become weaker and eventually become so weak that he couldn't move, not that his brother would ever let him get to that stage. He'd tried before and Elijah had dragged someone off the street and physically forced Toby to bite them, and once he tasted the blood and being as thirsty he was, he sucked them dry, killing them after only a few minutes. He didn't mean to but he couldn't control himself, let alone his brother. They were forced to move after that when rumors started to spread.

"Toby." Elijah's voice was more stern now.

He turned and caught the girl round her waist, lowering her to her knees and biting into her neck, trying to get his teeth into the same holes that were left by Elijah, as if to hide any trace of him being there.

The blood rushed with ease, though he contained it and kept it tidy.

Elijah frowned at his brother's attitude but dismissed it. He always acted like that when it came to feeding. Elijah couldn't get how Toby didn't like it- crave it even. The feeling of drinking blood was amazing. He couldn't even begin to explain how good it felt, and yet Toby completely hated it. He just thought that his brother's heart was too big for what he was.

He watched the road and pavements on both sides for people but the streets were fairly empty, as too be expected for an autumn evening when it got darker the later in the year it was. People would be at home, all snuggled up in front of their TVs or their computers, paying no mind to the advanced and complicated world that surrounded them, the creatures and being they call folklore and myths being real and in front of them, on that very same screen that they adored so much. But if they knew what they really were, then they wouldn't watch. They wouldn't want to be associated with something so terrifying and strange.

But he knew that they were no different to human beings. They had needs. They had wants. They felt things and they got hurt. They got angry and they got scared. They could kill and hate, but they could also make life and love. All these things but yet they were the outcasts. They were the ones who were thrown into the pit, the fire, the dark, the room ,the chair.

"Done."

Elijah snapped back into real time, blinking in shock. His hands were in tight fists. He slackened them and ran ne through his dark hair. "Yeah, okay. Did you wipe her?" Referring to her memories.

"Yeah"

"Okay. We should go."

"Yeah." Toby repeated.

They rounded the corner and Elijah bumped straight into someone walking in the opposite direction. He wasn't affected but the other person was knocked straight back and landed on their elbows.

The person gritted their teeth, seemingly from pain instead of anger. They both smelt blood and figured they'd grazed their arms.

The person looked up.

"Loic? What are you doing here?" Toby asked, wandering why he was so far out from where he went to school.