three

"Sorry, can you repeat that? How many children do you have?" Sarah asked the prostitute again. This time slowly, emphasising each word while Phillip was video graphing the whole thing.

Bunny looked around themselves. They were at a red-light area somewhere in Mumbai. It was around ten in the night.

Bunny knew the foreigners wanted to see 'poor India', 'real India'. So, he brought them here.

They were with this Argentinean company he was a summer intern at.

It seemed good so far. They'd round up some houses, asking innocent questions about the quality of living, sanitation, unemployment rates in these areas and continue interviewing the residents in this place. Which consisted of prostitutes, mainly.

Not to mention, the money was good too. He had to save up for his upcoming Manali trip. He had been looking forward to it since forever.

The old school-gang was going. It started tomorrow with his crazy best friends Avi and Aditi.

"I won't repeat it again, lady. Your blabbering is starting to get me a headache." She said in Hindi, the native language of India.

The sound of the prostitute brought Bunny back to his senses. She was leaning at the door frames of a house which was part of a close-knit community.

With narrow lanes winding through, all the houses were the same. Other prostitutes dressed in skimpy clothing as hers walked in and out of the building. The whole area was lit up with a faint fluorescent pink and neon lights.

The prostitutes weren't rich, if at all. They scraped by and often wore glittery, tacky clothes.

Like this one, wearing a long pink skirt and a blue sparkly crop- top. She was an olive-skinned brunette with large pink painted lips and wore large silver hoops in her ear. Her clothes revealing her four inch mid-riff.

He decided to pacify the matter. The foreigners weren't going anywhere with this.

"Stop teasing them, babe. Just answer their questions." Bunny drawled in Hindi with a lazy smile towards her.

She turned to him and accused with narrowed eyes, "You look new here, kid. Do you know these people?" referring to the foreigners.

"They're my employers. They'll pay you well. We're working together on a project. They do travel-shows all around the world. All from Argentina." He said with a wink.

The prostitute was dazed for a few seconds.
Smiling dreamily, she asked, "Where is this 'Argentina'?"

Reminding himself he needed the money, Bunny contained whatever emotion he was feeling for this hare-brained person. He said, "The next station to Goa."

The prostitute winked suggestively, "Will you take me there?"

Bunny drew a lazy smirk, "Of course, sweetheart. Only if you answer their questions." Referring to the foreigners again.

The prostitute took a deep breath and faced the foreigners, starting dramatically in broken English, "I has two childrens. Just don't ask me who their fathers' are." She said breathlessly.

•••

The foreigners were delighted at the work they had accumulated later. They took innumerable interviews and had enough footage to make a worthwhile video to broadcast.

It had took them five to six hours in total to shoot all the interviews and video graph the red light areas today. It was the last of their projects and they were leaving for Argentina tomorrow.

They thanked Bunny immensely for his support and left after a quick dinner.

Feeling the money they just paid him in his jacket's inner pocket, Bunny bid them farewell and slowly started walking towards his home, with hands in his pockets.

It had been a long day.