Chapter 10- Unlike Good Things, Bad Things Do Not Come to an End

"Last stop, Rosewood!" The bus driver yells. I hastily get to my feet, doing my best to avoid eye contact with Ian. As I'm almost off the bus, I notice Ian doesn't follow me. He just sits there, and I just stare.

"Don't wait up darling, you're not the only one that needs to be somewhere."

Right when I'm at the door, I look back one last time to. The last I see of him is a wink.

The Sun isn't up yet. Perfect. I just have to get to the hospital and back without anyone seeing me. I'm searching my purse for my brown wig when I hear a stick snap. I don't have time for this.

By the time I get to the hospital, no one is outside. The bight light of the LED bulbs reflecting off the carefully painted white walls of the hospital blinds me. I just love these hospital visits. As I walk to the waiting area I pass Aria who is sound asleep, sprawled across a couple chairs.

"Can I help you?" the desk lady asks after she pauses her soap opera.

"Hi, I'm Aline Fitzgerald, Ezra's sister."

"You can go in, but he probably won't be awake. Third room to the left. "

The desk lady says in a cold voice. I wonder how many times she had to say that, or how much bad news she had to tell. The feeling would wear someone out. Maybe she had even seen more dead bodies than I have, but I'll never know.

I walk into the room and as expected, Ezra is asleep. The Ezra that used to be mine.

"You know," I say, slowly pacing up towards his bed "I knew this would end up happening. I knew that I would have to be on the run forever when I first left. But this was never the plan. You were never in the plan. But like the thought of leaving, I couldn't get you out of my head. I was sick and tired of the same routine; I wanted to just go on this wild adventure. But, once you achieve something, it gets boring. So I ran, not because I had to, not from A, but because I wanted to. Just to escape from my perfect life, just for self validation . "

Ezra's arm twitches. I plan to stop talking, but the words keep flowing out of me.

"When I met you, I forgot of everything, you know that? You were the one person who understood me, the only one who loved me for me. You were the only reason for me to stay."

He shifts again, yet I don't stop.

"Of course, now I realize that it wasn't meant to be. You and Aria are a much better match than we ever were. Whatever, I'm over this now."

I turn to walk out, but hear a noise from Ezra.

"Why'd you come here, Ali?" He croaks, gasping for air from his oxygen machine.

"I don't know. Closure, maybe." I say, my back towards him.

"Actually, I do know." I start again, "You are the last string connecting me to this life. You are my favourite memory because you are a good one, but all good things come to an end. Goodbye, Ezra."

"Get well soon," he croaks back at me.

I don't think I can.