Chapter 5 - Something Strange

What have I done? Someone wants me dead, and the worst part is that I deserve it. I wipe my tears away. I can't show weekness now. I turn towards Cece, who is holding out a tissue for me. She really is my best friend; I told her all my secrets and she told me hers. Friends share secrets, that's what keeps us close. I used to say that to the girls and it made them think I was a genius, I wonder if they would think the same of me if they found out I was just repeating what Cece told me.

Another tear makes its way out and rolls down my cheek. I've always hated crying; I never understood why people cry so much-or why it happens. I take the tissue and wipe the tear away, wishing I could wipe my problems away just as easily. Somehow that makes me feel better, I guess it's knowing that my sign of vulnerability is now gone.

"Hello?" Someone walks into the room.

I don't know who it is, but I straighten my posture and try my best to muster up my superiority.

"Oh," she whispers to herself, "I guess Caleb invited some people over. Great...more competition."

I wonder if she'll realizes that we can hear pretty soon... or not. I wouldn't mind knowing some of her secrets. Cece doesn't seem to notice anything, weird. I guess I'll just keep acting like she's not there until we're alone.

"Can you go get Mrs. Grunwald?" I ask Cece. Its a stupid excuse, but at least now she's out of the room.

"Hello." I say. I turn my head towards the girl and put on my signature facial expression.

"You...," she says startled, "you can see me?" What's up with her?

"Yes, my name is Alison, and you are?" I ask her in a quiet tone, only I think I know who she is-if my sources are correct.

"I'm Miranda." She replies holding out her hand, but she quickly takes it back. Miranda? That name sounds familiar, but she isn't who I expected.

"Miranda," I repeat, "it's nice to meat you."

She runs out of the room.

I wait a while, then start to follow her when all my exhaustion starts to catch up to me and I decide to put it off for another day.

bzzt

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I am reluctant to read it. What if A knows I'm alive? I'm lost in thought when a someone runs into me. I look up to see one of my old friends, Mr. Collins.

"Alison?" he says, obviously petrified. "I didn't realize that by friend, Cece meant you. Very well then, you can stay in the house out back with Caleb." Finally, someone who doesn't hate me... well doesn't want me dead, anyways.