The Unforgettable Time We Forgot About

A/N- Hi there! Fair warning my writing style and plans for this story have both developed a lot since I first hatched this plot back in 2015. Be prepared for changes that I hope you find satisfying! :)

Sitting beside the raven-haired boy on the bus was maybe too much fun, laughing and teasing all the way to Onett, Ness's hometown. It wasn't a thought at the time although, only the sweet bliss of Ninten's company, along with the occasional hangover pains. It didn't occur to me only until we caught sight of the kid himself that I knew I was in for a ride. Ness went from laughing politely to narrowing his eyes at the sight of me, a favor I gladly returned followed by an roiled sigh from Lucas.

We met Ness and Lucas by Bruno's; unfortunately, actually, probably for the best, it was too early for Paula's shift. The awkwardness was so blatant between us, it was almost tangible. Lucas was the first to break the silence. 

"So... w-where is Travis?"

"Mentally or physically" Ninten chuckled uneasily. It was uncanny to see him so off his feet. I wonder if it was the mention of the Travis kid or just the acrid tension.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I questioned, trying to keep the conversation alive.

"Dreamer. He could be next to you and you still feel like you're in two distant universes." Ness mumbled. 

Distant, I've heard that one only 500 times. It was the way every person described me every since-- well you know.

"Geez, I'm not that robotic, Ness.  I have emotions and feelings. Unlike robo over here." 

We all turned our attention to a tall, curly-haired boy. He looked both hurt and unafflicted by Ness' comment, my guess is he has heard it before, yet it still wounds him. I must have looked the same way because I felt Ninten grab my wrist in a protective sort of sense, glaring at Travis with challenging eyes. which just made Travis raise an eyebrow, then blankly stare off into the distance, deep into thought.

"He's not wrong though, have you seen his damn wings? What is he, a metallic pelican?"

"More human than you, that's for sure. At least, that's what Paula thinks."

Ness tightened his fist, ready for a jab. One movement and all hell would have broken loose.

"GUYS!" Lucas desperately stomped. "Who wants ch-chocolate? Because I want strawberry and someone always ends up getting ch-chocolate so how many want it?" I knew full well it was me he was implying.

"Why don't you just ask if anyone else wants strawberry, Lucas?" Travis inquired, coming out from his trance.

"Oh, s-sorry. Thanks, Travis."

"Hey, I got you." Travis smiled. "I'll take you up on that strawberry offer."

"Me too." Ness chimed in. That slippery little wiener. 

"Strawberry sounds cool." Ninten nodded.

Everyone swung their heads to look to me for my answer.

"Chocolate."

"Why are you like this." Lucas facepalmed

Lucas ordered for us and we all collected our ice creams. The energy immediately recovered after that. Maybe it was the innocence of ice cream on a hot day or the fact that there was a mutual agreement that Ness and I did not communicate. Ninten, Travis, and Lucas became human partisans in both conversation and physical interaction. It did a lot in terms of a complete change in the aura. Almost like somehow had cast a happy spell on us.