Chapter Six: Gotcha

Chapter Six::Gotcha.

 “You look nice,” Blake noted when I stepped from the car.

He called me from a phone on the airplane a couple of hours ago, asking me to drive his car to pick him up from the airport.

I smiled at his compliment as I walked around the passenger seat and he slid into the driver’s seat.

“Thanks. Yeah…I already put the address of the party into your GPS and it’ll only take like fifteen minutes to get there since the traffic doesn’t look that bad.”

Blake nodded and glanced at me before he started up the engine. 

“Do you need me to call you a cab or something to take you home after the party?”

I shook my head.

“Nah, it’s okay…Luxuria hired a driver to take me home since I’m going to this thing to represent the magazine.”

Blake nodded approvingly and we drove in a comfortable silence for a short while.

I observed him from where my head was leaning against the window and frowned.

“Hey, you just got back from vacation!” I teased. “Shouldn’t you be a little more relaxed?”

Blake forced a smile.

“Well…” He shrugged. “I could say I’ve had more relaxing vacations,” he admitted.

“What? Spending New Years Eve in the air wasn’t super fun?” My teasing voice had a bit of an edge to it that I wasn’t able to control.

Blake glanced at me and shook his head.

“No…I…” He groaned. “Honestly, Aub? That was probably the best part of the vacation.” Another frustrated noise. “Everything was just…when did everything get so fucked up? I mean, one minute we’d be having a great time, and the next we’d be in the middle of a screaming fit.”

“Screaming?” I cringed at the thought. Evelyn had the vocal cords of a banshee when she was angry. “Over what? I thought you were trying to work things out or somethi-” 

“We were!” He interrupted. “But we literally fought about everything! Hell, we even fought about you!”

We came to a stop at a red light and I rose an eyebrow as I stared at Blake in curiosity.

“Me? Really?”

He nodded.

“On more than one occasion.”

Wow.

“Oh.”

I blinked at Blake, wanting him to offer up more information.

He glanced at me and smirked.

“What? You have a question, Aubrey?”

I glared.

“You know I want more information. Tell me, please.”

He rolled his eyes.

“Always so needy. But, fine. Since you asked so nicely…we argued over a lot of different things concerning you. She was mad that I planned to take you to the New Years Eve party with me, and then when I pressed that asking you was a last minute decision I made the last time we went to lunch, she got angry for taking you to lunch. Then, I explained how we were hanging out and it was a casual thing and so she got mad at me for constantly hanging out with you when I should have been working to fix my relationship with her-”