Outtake from Chapter 37, Carlisle's POV

Start from the beginning

“How many voices are you picking up?” Jasper asked Edward, speaking loudly enough that Isabella could hear. She was now sitting up in bed, her eyes flitting to each member of our family as they spoke. I saw very little fear in her expression; instead, a fierce determination sparkled in her eyes.

Despite her human status, Isabella truly was one of us in spirit, if not in body.

She was a Cullen, through and through.

Most human girls would have been a fearful, crying, clinging mess in knowing that they were a target of a wolf pack. But Isabella sat quietly, absorbing the conversation, taking everything in.

And I was proud of her.

Edward frowned as he replied to Jasper's question. “It's difficult to tell how many there are; it seems that the Quileute shape shifters communicate telepathically while in their wolf forms. Their minds are not truly independent in that form; their thoughts almost meld into a single collective thinking process. It's almost impossible to separate the thoughts of individuals from the group as a whole.” He paused, listening to the pack, then added, “But I'd say at least eight of them, perhaps more.”

Rosalie cursed under her breath, then addressed Jasper, demanding, “What's the best plan?”

As always, Emmett's first thoughts were of violence. “Kill 'em! We can totally take these furry-assed dogs!” Unlike the rest of the family who had straightened out of their crouches, Emmett had retained his defensive position, his eyes ever on the alert.

“Wait,” I said, addressing our three fighters especially. “We need to plan our approach to this situation with the utmost care. We must keep this confrontation from becoming violent, or lives could be lost on both sides.”

Isabella's quiet gasp drew the immediate attention of every family member. Her eyes were wide with panic as they flickered to each member of my family as if she were thinking of how much she valued and feared losing each one.

I glanced at Edward, unsurprised to see his eyes resting on Isabella with love, longing, and pride. She looked back at him, her eyes agonized with fear...fear for us. Her heart quickened, the beat irregular, and I ghosted to her side as her eyes brimmed with tears.

I needed to calm her; this kind of stress was exactly what we needed to avoid. Despite her strength of mind, Isabella's body was extremely delicate as she recovered slowly from the damage Jacob had inflicted.

Taking her wrist in my fingers, more to quiet her panic than to measure her pulse which was unnecessary, my eyes met hers, and I kept my voice level, hoping to relieve some of her distress.

“Isabella, calm down,” I advised quietly. “Take slow breaths, my dear. Slow breaths,” I emphasized.

She started to calm down, but I knew that only one person in the room could bring her true peace of mind.

After a glance from Jasper, Edward nodded, then approached and knelt beside her bed, taking her free hand in his.

“It would not be your fault, Isabella, if something happens today. You cannot blame yourself for their decisions,” Edward spoke gently but firmly.

Isabella began calming almost immediately. Whether Edward's words or his touch (or a combination of the two) was responsible, I was thankful to see her relax into her pillows. I released her hand, unsurprised when Edward reached for it, grasping both of her fragile hands in his strong ones.

I also had the feeling that Jasper was assisting Isabella's calm through his gift. When I glanced at him quickly, his sly wink confirmed my suspicions.