“It’s a nice bracelet. What does it say?”

“Uhm…it says Stay Strong,” her voice is small.

Shit. I must have hit something deep inside because her eyes begins to water.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to…”

JOSELYN POV 

Did he really have to bring up the bracelet? I had just begun to relax and then he brings up the fucking bracelet. And now I’m about to start crying. Damn it, Joselyn.

“Sorry.”

“You said that already.”

The corner of his mouth moves up a little.

“Sorry…I mean…yeah uhm. I’m not gonna say that word again.”

“Good luck.”

“Thanks. Fuck,” he puts his hand on his face.

“What is it?”

“You’re not supposed to say thank you after someone says good luck. It’s bad luck,” he says between his fingers.

“That explains so much…,”I mumble to myself. I look back up at him, hoping he didn’t hear what I just said, but he doesn’t move. I let out a breath, glad I don’t have to explain myself.

My phone starts buzzing.

“Hello?”

“Joselyn! Where are you?” Mom is practically screaming on the other side.

“Calm down. I’m just having breakfast.”

“Where?”

“Sunday’s, it’s just around the corner…” Shit. “You don’t have to come, mom,” I add immediately. Knowing mom, she’s definitely thinking of coming here.

“I wasn’t planning on coming…,” I hear her lying. “Your brother and I are heading into town for some shopping and your dad is going to the office. So you’re alone. Is that okay?”

“Yeah it’s fine. If you don’t mind, I’m gonna finish my breakfast now.”

“Oh, of course. Bye, love you,” I click her off.

“Finish your breakfast?”

I look down on my empty plate.

“If I didn’t shut her up, she’d go on forever and I’d be here until tomorrow.”

“Well in that case, Yolanda would have fed you until you wouldn’t be able to walk so you’d have to roll out of here.”

“She wouldn’t.”

“I would!” She winks at me from across the café.

“Is she always like that?” I lean forward, whispering, not wanting her to hear me.

“She is…She…” Ashton nods but is interrupted by his phone that starts ringing. He picks it up, hesitating before he puts it to his ear, mouths sorry to me and stands up.

“Hi baby”

Of course.

Of course Amy would call and ruin this…this whatever Ashton and I are having. But I get it. She’s his girlfriend so of course, she’s a priority and of course he needs to answer the phone when she rings. Why am I getting mad? This feeling I have inside is not something I usually have. Jealousy, perhaps?