40. The Beginning Of An End

Start from the beginning

Any Pietro knew, he knew in his heart they would be much too late.

With every minute that they lost, Amara was put in more and more danger.

He fisted his hair and tugged at them sharply, feeling utterly hopeless. He didn't know what he could do. He was not even able to track her properly! He was failing in the one thing he excelled at beyond anyone else.

"I'm sorry I couldn't protect you Amara. I'm sorry", he whispered,"But please hold on, I'll find you soon, please"

He remained motionless, eyes closed, opening them only when he heard the sounds of hurrying footsteps coming towards him.

"Sir, you must come inside now, we've just received some news", the guard told him quickly.

Pietro jumped to his feet, hurrying after the man inside the small shack.

"Report", he commanded, as soon as he stepped inside.

"I was able to get in touch with the security general of the Sullivan estate briefly",one of his other soldier began,"They are already on their way here"

"Why aren't we able to contact anyone?''

"It seems that a defensive lockdown has been initiated in the Sullivan estate due to some incident that has taken place in Chicago"

Pietro frowned. "What incident?"

"I lost the signal before any details could be exchanged",the man replied, looking frustrated with himself.

"You did a good job", Pietro appreciated distractedly.

On one hand he was relieved that more forces would be joining them soon and on the other, the news about some incident taking place in Chicago had him riled up. He knew something major must have happened for the Sullivan estate to go under a lockdown.

And worst of all, Pietro couldn't ignore the timing between the two incidents.

Someone was playing a dangerous game, a very dangerous game with them and he would kill whoever it was, there would be no escape for that person.

"Sir, is there no other way to track Matteo?", a guard asked him.

Pietro pursed his lips.

Unbeknownst to anyone else except the elite members of the organization, every Romero guard had a tracking device installed in their phones, ones which were given to them during the start of their job. It was both, a security measure for them as well as a means of keeping an eye on the men and controlling their activities.

Matteo had spent nearly six years with them and in those years he had slowly but steadily climbed up the ranks. But even he wasn't privy to this little information!

Taking advantage of the fact, Pietro had tried to track him down but he was proven wrong though when his search had come up unsuccessful.

If only he had his phone with him, he would have been able to make a more thorough search, after all, the tracking information of all the Romero guards was linked to his phone.

"Are we to wait here until the backup arrives?"

Pietro shook his head. "We can't lose time by waiting here for the Sullivan forces to arrive, we shou—

He faltered mid sentence, his eyes widening. Of course! How could he have forgotten?

He didn't have his mobile with him because he had given it away to Amara.