Swimsuits for Your Body (June/July 2012)

Well ladies, it's that dreaded time of the year again for some of us – Summer. That means sun, fun beach and pool and, (don't cringe) swimsuits! It doesn't have to be the most hated thing, we just need to find the right one that suits our body type. Some of us are taller, disproportionate, thin, thick and curvy and most of all, definitely weary when it come to slipping on a swimsuit. We want to feel comfortable but sexy when we are in something that's as close to underwear. My number one rule when I swimsuit shop is to find something with a controlled fabric, aka, something that will give me shape and flatter my post-baby belly, but isn't as uncomfortable as most shape wear. It will also give support from top to bottom of the bathing suit and hide those unwanted bulges.

A couple of years ago was the first time I'd actually bought an wore a swimsuit since I was a kid; I usually preferred a tee shirt and shorts, because I was uneasy about my body, as many of us are. Now, with my renewed confidence, I prefer a halter top tankini with boy shorts; it covers everything and flatters me, but my halter top style shows off my tattoos and gives great cleavage. They also come in wrap-styled tankinis, which will give a more shapely look. Tankinis may not be the best match for other body types and for those who are a bit more daring when strutting what they got on the beach or poolside, but they super comfortable for someone who isn't a huge swimsuit fan.

For us curvy girls, I found that Torrid and Lane Bryant (though a tad pricey for those who are penny-pinching) and Fashion Bug had great styles in a huge selection to choose from. The bonus was that I could try them on in-store. There are several online shops, such as www.OneStopPlus.com and www.prontostyle.com, who specialize in plus size clothing and swimsuits, but be sure to order long before the summer months so you can make sure you have a great fit.

Now, onto finding the proper suit styles! First things first - ,make sure your suit top and bottoms are supportive to avoid any embarrassing public nudity mishaps! Halter tops and bra cut tops give great support, while tankinis control the upper part of your body.

If you are curvy, a boy short have the potential to make legs look shorter and stubby. Opt for a feminine brief to mix and match, or go for flattering one-piece. A one-piece with asymmetrical ruching can flatter a fuller figure; it will draw the eyes away from “problem areas”. Find lighter tops to pair with darker bottoms if you decide on a two piece style.

Another great suit style is the bandeau, but, be careful, they are not the most supportive when it come to your chest, however, ones with control over the bust ARE available, just very hard to find.

If you are pear-shaped, find lighter tops to mix with darker, V-bottoms, which minimize the hips. When shopping, find bikinis or one-piece suits with wide straps to mask an smaller upper body. Bandeau styles are an especially excellent choice for pear shaped bodies. Another trick is to wear less on your booty; by revealing more, you flatter the are of concern. Stay away from super high cut bottoms and do not wear vertical strips on your lower portions. Boy shorts does not give your body the vision that it is elongated and they are particularly not covering you up; you are actually making your bum look larger and bringing more attention to it.

For those of us who love rocking a bikini, flaunt your voluptuous curves in style with the right fit. Again, halter tops being out the best of our curve up top, giving good cleavage and a life to the bust. Racer back and sports bras also offer better breast support. You can also try frills at the bust line and hips if you are tall. Skirted bottoms help minimize the hips and thighs.

When shopping for our beach wear, remember to choose the right colors and prints. Darker colors are usually better choice for us plus size beauties, but also elongated stripes and vertical can be used for slimmer looks, however, if you have a rounder booty and normal bust, black and vertical stripes can be used in combination.

Whatever swimsuit style you choose, always make sure you feel comfortable in it. You can't rock your gorgeous, curvy body if you don't have the sexy confidence to go along with it! Surf's up!!