10 Ways to Tone Your Glutes (June/July 2012)

Gluteus maximus, bum, butt, rear. One of the strongest muscles in the human body. Whatever you call your derriere, you want it to look fabulousso, when it comes to this “ass”et, what are the best exercises to make it look it's best?

If you hit the gym, power lifting exercises such as squats, the dead lift and leg presses are known to significantly strengthen the glutes, but any exercise, such as lunges, hip thrusts,kick boxing, running, stair climbing, bicycling, rowing and aerobics are also suitable. Below are ten butt busting workouts to tone and firm that bodacious booty (and thighs). The listed workouts will also help trim your legs, hips and lower abdominal muscles, and as a plus, you can do them in the comfort of your own home! Remember, start off slow and work your way to more repetitions as you go along.

Squats:

Stand with feet hip-width apart. For extra intensity, hold weights (usually five pounds) at shoulder level or at your sides.

Bend the knees, and lower into a squat, keeping the knees behind the toes, keeping your torso upright and contracted.

Press into the heels to stand up.

Perform sets and reps according to your fitness level and goals.

Lunges (Side to Side):

Stand with feet wide, with toes at about a 45-degree angle. Hold a medicine ball or weight at chest level.

Lunge to the right, bending the knee, keeping the knee behind the toe. Touch the ball to the floor while keeping your back flat (don't round your shoulders).

Stand up, bringing the ball or weight to the chest.

Repeat the lunge on the left side.

One rep is a lunge to the right and left.

Perform sets and reps according to your fitness level and goals.

Lunges (Front to Back):

Stand with right foot forward, left foot back about 3 feet apart.

Hold weights in each hand if desired and bend the knees to lower the body towards the floor. Keep the front knee behind the toes and be sure to lower straight down rather than forward.

Keep the torso straight and abs in as you push through the front heel and back to starting position. Don't lock the knees at the top of the movement.

Perform sets and reps according to your fitness level and goals.

Please Note: There are several different kinds of lunges and listed here are the most common. You can also incorporate the side to side and backward and forward lunges into the “Around the World” lunges.

Around the World Lunges:

Step forward with the left foot and lower into a lunge, keeping the front knee behind the toe. Lower until the back knee comes close to the floor.

Push into the heel to step back and immediately step out to the left and into a squat.

Press back to start and take the left leg back into a reverse lunge, again keeping the front knee behind the toe.

Perform sets and reps according to your fitness level and goals.

Lunge Kicks:

Begin in a lunge with your right knee bent (knee and toes on the floor) and your left leg stretched back. Place your palms down on the floor, elbows straight.

Kick your right leg behind you, foot to the side and flexed. Repeat.

Perform sets and reps according to your fitness level and goals.

Crisscross:

Sit on the floor with your feet planted in front of you and your hands on the floor behind you. Arms should be straight and fingers facing your rear.

Lift your hips, crossing your right leg over the left.

Straighten the right leg and lower it to the right. Pause and cross it back over the left leg,

Do appropriate reps and continues on to the other side.

Booty Push:

Start in the beginning Crisscross position, but instead, raise your right leg, keeping your knee bent and flexing your foot.

Extend your right leg, bending your elbows and lower your but so it is a few inches from the floor.

Do appropriate reps and switch legs.

Butt Lift:

Lie on your tummy on the floor

Lift your chest from the floor and rest on your forearms

Squeeze your bum to raise your legs a few inches then back to start

Perform sets and reps according to your fitness level and goals.

Bridge:

Lie on your back and bend your knees and place your feet closer to your thighs.

Place your hands to your sides and slowly lift your hips off the floor, keeping your back straight and contract the buttocks.

Hold this position for a few seconds and release the pose.

Dumbbell Step Ups

On a 12-inch platform., stand behind the platform with your feet shoulder-width apart.

Extend your arms down, holding a pair of dumbbells.

Step up on the platform, leading with your right leg, followed by your left leg. Continue the exercise by stepping down behind the platform.

Perform sets and reps according to your fitness level and goals.

Let's get ready for a bootylicious booty that will catch someone's eye!!