Are You Coming?

Are You Coming?

Chapter 1

Riley's POV

September 15, 2012 Junior Year

     As I was walking towards the performance exit of the high school with my best friend, Jess, I saw John standing by his friend practically begging to give him a ride home because his parents were out of town. I stopped for a minute and whispered the question if I should tell him I could give him a ride, because both of us knew that I had liked John for quite a while now.

  "Yeah, I think you should," Jess whispered back to me. "But wait until we get there so you can actually 'find out' if he needs a ride." I nodded and we continued walking towards them as Matt was part of Jess's carpool. 

  "Hey Matt, are you ready to go?" she asked him. 

    "Yeah, as soon as I help John find a ride home," he said sarcastically. 

"I can give you a ride home," I offered, "my brother is staying after today so I don't have to drive him home. Oh, but if you come you'll have to put your trombone in your locker, I don't have room for it in what I drive."

      "Oh yeah, and what do you drive?" he asked. 

"Put that away an you'll find out," I said suggestively. 

      "Ok fine. Just give me a minute," he said walking off to put his instrument away. 

    "So what is it that you drive that a trombone won't fit in it?" Matt asked. 

I smirked and replied, "A Harley."

    "And you really think that John, being the person that he is, will ride a black Harley with a girl driving it? I'm not saying John is sexist, I'm just saying he's not the daredevil/rebel/ride on a black Harley type."

"Well," I said straight faced, "if he wants a ride home, he'll get on."

  "Can we watch?" Jess asked. 

"Um, sure, I guess," I replyed, somewhat confused as to why she wanted to watch.

  "Haha! This is gonna be good," she said just as John returned. 

        "What's going to be good?" John asked her. 

  "Oh nothing, just a movie I'm going to see. Well I'll see you tomorrow Riley. Bye!" 

        "What's up with her?" John asked. 

"John, it's Jess. Is she really doing anything that's not considered normal for her?" I asked as we headed out to where I had parked. 

        "Well, knowing her, no."

"Here we are," I said stopping at my bike to replace my helmet in the trunk with my backpack and clarinet while taking the other helmet out for John. I handed him the helmet but it remained in my hand. 

        "Wait a second. You mean to tell me you drive a MOTORCYCLE?!?!!!"

"Yeah. Do you want a ride home or not?" 

        "Well, my parents would go insane if I rode a motorcycle home."

"Mine flipped out when they found out but they learned to live with it. Are you coming or are you just going to stand there and waste my time?" Reluctantly he grabbed the helmet and gave me his stuff to put in the trunk. 

       "You're crazy, you know that, right?"

"So I've been told. But whatever," I smiled and turned to look at him, "maybe I like being crazy," I said as I gunned my engine and took off out the parking lot with his hands on my waist.