| 15 | Messiah Returns| |

"But I have salvaged our reputation and present to you," Piero opened the case revealing the sparkling diamonds. Excited whispers started around the space smiles threatening the old men's faces.

From the ooh's and ahh's came a surprising sound: laughter. The room became quiet again and all eyes focused on Lorenzo Esposito who reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a disc concealed in a case.

"Please, Esposita we're all men who like to laugh. What's so funny?" Piero clipped through tight lips.

Lorenzo set the disc on the table. "I didn't understand why this was sent to me. I watched what was on this disc and though I wish I could say I was surprised, I'm not. Young Dante please put this in the player. I'm no good with computers." He waved the phrase off and kept talking while Dante did as he requested. "I don't know what little bird placed this on my desk, but whoever it was knew a moment like this would happen because you Piero are a roach among men."

Piero stood straight and crossed his arms over his chest. "Do not conjure up false demons from the past Esposito. No man in this room is a saint."

"Perhaps not." Lorenzo said in his cool carefree way. "I'd even go as far to say we're all murderous, soulless bastards, but there's a line." He emphasized his words by tracing a line with his finger on the wooden table. "You my old friend crossed that line." Lorenzo nodded to Dante who pressed the play button and took a few steps back and crossed his arms over his chest. Show time.

Dante did his part holding back his own amusement as the video of Leonardo Mancini's murder played out.

Angry whispers started going around the room. "We all know that video is faked. These days technology can do so much." When the angry whispers grew louder, Piero slammed his hands on the table. "DEAD MEN CAN'T TALK!"

"Can they not?" Breaths caught and confused eyes turned to meet Giovanni standing in the doorway commanding the space in his cream colored suit accentuated with a baby blue dress shirt underneath. Fine brown leather shoes hugged his feet.

All eyes fell to Dante who feigned a look of confusion. "G-Giovanni?" He stammered knowing exactly what the other Don's needed to hear.

Piero laughed uncomfortably reaching for the tie at his neck. "G-Giovanni wasn't expecting to--"

"Ever see me again?" Giovanni strolled into the room and came face to face with Piero. "Well you did send the best assassin after me."

"Yet you're still alive." He mumbled angry eyes holding Giovanni's.

The voices around the room gasped frowns pulled at the other men's faces as they started angry discussions.

Giovanni addressed the table. "I was marked for dead. Yet, with great effort, I stand before you. Not because I am immortal, but because I'm not finished yet. Yes, Faust was taken, but that will not stop us. My father told me that a Bianchi fights to the end. The end is--"

"Only when the last breath leaves your chest." Don Ricci's raspy aged voice interjected. "A man doesn't disappear without help. Did you not trick us? I understand why, but elaborate schemes do not earn trust."

Giovanni nodded. "I wasn't aware of the dupe but I did not come to the light as soon as I could have. I was in the dark until well after my funeral recovering from my brush with death and all. I stayed in the shadows working to mend relationships tainted by my absence by the loss of Faust. I could have left this all behind but this is who I am. Time will show you where my loyalties lie if you've ever had any doubts."

"The video was you?"

"I was raised by The Cleaver Bianchi. Computers are far from my strong suit."

"I'd say the video came from Leonardo Mancini. We had a conversation about his unease with Piero's return." Lorenzo Espisota chimed in. "He was wearing the camera. I think he wanted reassurance."

"You Piero Albani--" Don Ricci broke off looking around the room. "Where did he go?"

Giovanni caught Dante's eyes. Dante shrugged. Giovanni bared his teeth. "Shut the house down! Find him!" The bodyguards, one belonging to each Don, moved to do Giovanni's bidding.

"Before we part ways my friends." Don Ricci rasped. "We put Giovanni's assumption of leadership to a vote. Briefly tell us what you offer."

"We could quickly gain our South American trade back. I'm confident and even looking at multiplying it. I still have my connections in Japan. I could have my people look into the West Africans see what Piero might have had or stir up a different relationship with the diamond dealers. There are opportunities everywhere they just wait to be exploited."

"I propose we give Giovanni a year to get us back to where we were. Two to double it say at seven percent for good faith." Ricci said.

"Ten percent and I'll raise it to seventeen in a year once you have your proof." Giovanni countered.

"Fifteen. That's what you always took." The old man countered

"It's a new age now and I'll take seventeen or nothing at all."

The old man glared at Giovanni who held his poker face. The corner of the old man's mouth twitched. "Let's put it to vote."

"What happens to him if he doesn't meet his end of the deal?" Don Mancini's strongest alley wanted to know. Don Russo was never a vocal enemy more a quiet one but there was no doubt where his loyalties lie.

The old man raised an eyebrow. "What do you say Bianchi?"

"If I can not produce what I promise, I do not deserve the title of Capo di Tutti Capi. And if I am not the Godfather, I'm dead."

The corner of Don Russo's mouth tilted up and he nodded his head. "Let's put it to a vote."  

|:|A/N|:|

Hello world wind! A lot happened in that chapter. Piero was exposed for crossing some sort of line that crime bosses have at least according to Don Esposito. But that sneaky Piero still managed to slip away. Giovanni finally got to return to his mother land and expose Piero for his treachery. Now that Dante's role has been fulfilled, will he stay with Giovanni or pursue a future with Bridgette and Tucker? His loyalties run deep, but so does his love for his woman and child.

Find out tomorrow when I post the final chapter for this story!

Please VOTE/COMMENT/SHARE

Best,

Alex