| 7 | Man's Past | |

Bridgette tried not to look around at the gorgeous, breathtaking view around her. All rolling hills and quant little farm houses speckled throughout the valley they were driving through. They turned up a road with a sign for a vineyard and winery. They passed a beautiful winery and kept heading up the hill until she saw a large well landscaped mansion clad in a champagne colored stucco, with dark wood trimmed windows, wide marble stairs, and a laughing fountain out front. The car pulled into a courtyard surrounded on all sides by an arcade of old style columns, lush green vines crawled up the adjacent walls giving the place a natural, old, pristine feel and look.

The young man that picked her up from the airport opened her door and retrieved her luggage from the trunk with the help of several other staff members. She placed the black and white sun hat on her head and smoothed the white sundress decorated with black birds. Her insides moved as her mind drifted to Dante. She hated herself for caring about how she looked when she was getting dressed in the jet. Just business she kept chanting to herself, but only a fool would think after all they'd been through that it was only business.

"Signore Giordano wanted me to show you to your sleeping quarters and where you will set up your... uh... office." The young chauffeur was probably barely old enough to drive though he drove, and spoke to her like he was a grey haired butler seasoned and sophisticated.

"What's your name?"

"Francesco, Signora."

"Oh, gosh please call me Bridgette. I know it's rude to ask, and honestly it doesn't matter I'm just curious, but how old are you?"

"Eighteen."

She raised an eyebrow at him. "You don't have to lie to me kid."

The corner of his mouth tweaked. "FIfteen in a week."

She nodded. "Well that's actually older than I thought. I'm following you."

He picked up the small bag that she used to store her more immediate necessities and strolled into the rather spacious home, up some stairs, a hallway that opened up into another courtyard that had a splashing fountain in it and lots of greenery strewn over various trellises.

"Here you are." He opened the door and strolled in placing her bag on the bench at the end of her four poster bed. The light curtains at the french doors out the a balcony was blowing in the breeze wafting in a pleasant fresh smell into the space. The room was filled with light, rather lovely paintings on the walls and dark wood accessories: bed, side tables, dresser.

She plopped her purse on the bed with an exhale. "Where are you putting all my precious babies?"

The young man frowned at her until it clicked. "Two doors down on the other side of your bathroom. There will be a late dinner served in a few hours. If you're hungry before then we can bring you up something to eat."

She shook her head. "Dinner is fine. I'm sure I'll be busy setting up my stuff." She frowned when she realize she hadn't seen hide nor hair of Dante'. "Where uh is...Dante'... I mean Signor Giordano?"

The young man checked his watch. "At this time, in his studio. If I had to guess."

"And that is?"

An uncertain look flashed across his face before he responded. "At the end of the hall. I would knock before I enter. If that'll be all, I'll leave you to settle in."

She nodded. "Gratzie, Francesco."

He bowed. "Signora." Then left.

She flopped backwards in the bed and exhaled staring up at the white ceiling. Dante talked about Italy. They planned on venturing here together. Funny how even after all the time that passed, she still ended up being here with him and it was just as beautiful, if not more so, than he described.