xvi. family

July 29th, 1978

"Kitten? It's time

"Kitten? It's time."

I turned my head slowly to see my boyfriend standing in the narrow doorway of our yellow, one story home in his tux. A frown tugging down the corners of his lips. I took in a deep breath while nodding and standing from the dining table. I shakily smoothed my plain, black dress. I never understood why it was always black. Why black was the colour you wore when you attended a funeral.

My parents are dead. My dad died from a heart attack and the next day my mother's heart just... stopped. It was like she couldn't go on without him. I won't bother trying to explain how much it hurt because, honestly, I don't know how to explain it. I'd even begun to gain weight even though I've hardly eaten. It's perplexing but I don't really care. I just want them back.

But today was the day. James and everyone else are attending the wake for the final goodbye's. I've never been so unprepared. It's so hard to believe that I'll never walk into my parents home and smell my mother's rich, chocolate cake or hear my dad's deep, hearty laugh that made everyone else in the room grin. I was lucky to have the most kind and pure parents in the world and now... they're just-gone.

Sirius extended his arm, a forced smile appearing on his pale face. He's not good with loss. Someday's he doesn't know whether to dote on me or leave me entirely alone. James' acting about the same. When bad things happen, he jumps into protective mode- disregarding his own emotions and putting everyone else first.

I reluctantly gripped onto Sirius before we apparated, appearing in my parents home. Nostalgia and memories flooding my mind. My eyes bore into the sitting room. I could see my beautiful, elder mother sitting in her chair beside my father. They were staring at James and I who were playing with little enchanted frogs. Little James snatched mine from my hand and laughed pompously while I frowned. My young, chubby hand reeled back and punched him directly in the face. My mother quickly rushing to me and pulling me away from James. "We never hit family, Genny, never."

"But, mummy, he was being mean!" I retorted defiantly. Crows feet becoming apparent around her eyes as she smiled softly.

"He may be mean at times but he's your family. And we may not like family but we'll always love them. They're-"

"They're the ones who'll be there in the darkest of times." I recited softly, my voice cracking slightly. The words my mother spoke to me that day filling my head. I hadn't even noticed that I was already crying. Sirius swirled me around to face him before using his index finger to wipe away the involuntary tears that had begun to make their descent down my cheek. I sniffled before breathing in deeply.

I looked towards the dining room table that was cluttered with food. I couldn't help but gag at the sight. My nerves are getting the best of me. My hands shaking violently on their own accord.

"Genny." A soft, male voice called. I whipped my head towards its origin only to find James standing in the corridor, his hand interlocked with my best friend who wore a crestfallen look.

I breathed in shakily and made my way towards the pair, enveloping Prongs first. His arms were locked around my waist and mine around his. One thing my brother rarely did was cry. Ever since we were kids, if he was in pain, he would mask it with humour. It was just his way of coping. But when our embrace ended, my left shoulder was damp with his tears that he quickly wiped away.

Lily gave me a reassuring smile that could brighten anyone's day. Her eyes so gentle and kind. My eye caught something glinting on her left hand. I quickly reached for it, pulling it into view.

"James? You proposed?!" I croaked. I mean I knew it was coming but wow. The ring was utterly beautiful but simple. Just like Lily who smiled bashfully.

James quickly smirked, erasing every expression of sadness and lost. He's always been a proud one.

"Yeah. I mean I had to soon, right? Can't let her get away." He muttered pompously while wrapping his arm around her to which Lily shoved off while rolling her eyes in annoyance. But the slight smile continued to tug at her lips that she desperately tried to hide.

"We wanted to make an announcement but there hasn't exactly been an opportune time." She said delicately. I nodded in agreement. Our heads snapped towards the front door when it opened only to see the handsome, incredible Remus Lupin. He quickly hugged each of us before gripping my face and kissing my forehead platonically.

Marlene and Peter were supposed to come but they were unable to. Marlene left after she and Remus had a fight, she said she was going to stay with her family for a bit. We haven't really heard from her in a couple of weeks. And Peter just has been acting different. He's always been stand offish but when I invited him to the wake, he just scrambled to make an excuse.

Nausea filled me once again. I gripped at my stomach before bolting for the upstairs bathroom, nearly tripping over the steps as my friends called after me. I bursted through the door to the toilet and vomited. My body shaking after the violent projectile while beads of sweat formed on my forehead.

I stood shakily from the ground and lunged towards the sink. I turned on the faucet and began to wash the horrid taste out of my mouth. I turned off the faucet and examined my reflection in the mirror.

My dark hair was nearly as messy as my twins, strands sticking out haphazardly in various places. My light mascara was smeared underneath my dull, hazel eyes. In short, I was a fucking mess.

My weight gain wasn't too noticeable but I could see it. I had developed a little pouch on my stomach. I turned to the side while staring in the mirror. I furrowed my eyebrows before widening my eyes, realization hitting me like a bus.

"Holy fu-"

"Gen, you alright?!" Sirius called from the hall, worry lacing his deep voice. I nodded my head although I knew he couldn't see me.

"Yeah." I called, still staring at my reflection. "I-I'll be down in a moment."

"Alright, kitten." He replied sweetly. I took in a shaky, deep breath before exhaling sharply.

I can never catch a fucking break can I?

A/N-
Thank you all for being so patient with me. This has been an extremely busy month for me so far but things are finally slowing down. I really enjoy the story and there is so much more in store for Gen and Sirius.
Vote & comment!!
Xxx