005

KAI

"So she just showed up here?"

I overhear the conversation between Emma and some dark haired woman at a booth in grannies, along with a young boy who I can feel staring at me. I tuck my hair behind my ear and sip my milkshake, eavesdropping from the bar. Since I arrived two days ago I've basically spent all my time here trying to figure out what the deal is with this place.

"Yeah, she turned up two days ago completely out of the blue, knows about magic too. Is there anyway she could be from the enchanted forest? I mean her ID said 1976, and it was real, I would know. If she'd been under the curse it would explain why she hasn't aged" I overhear Emma say to the other woman.

"No, definitely not. I know everyone who came from our world and who stayed there, I don't recognise her, she's not one of them."

"She can hear you." I say emphasising the 'she', now standing over them. "You know it's rude to talk about people behind their back."

"And it's rude to eavesdrop." Blondie fires back.

"Touché" I say, taking a seat next to her and opposite the brunette and child in her company and holding out my hand as a sign of politeness, 

"Kai, new girl, talk of the town, call me what you will, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"Mary Margaret," she says, hesitantly shaking my hand

"Mary Margaret," she says, hesitantly shaking my hand. From the brief contact I can feel the magic pulsing through her veins, albeit not as much as I can feel radiating from the blonde next to me but still, it's there.

I glance at the boy who's been eyeing me suspiciously since I arrived at Grannies.

"Who's the kid?" I ask, not breaking his eye contact. I think he may begin to annoy me soon, if his suspicion starts to dig up unwanted questions. Questions lead to answers and my answers usually lead to trouble.

I notice Emma and Mary Margaret making eye contact across the table, obviously deciding wether or not they want to disclose the kids identity to me, but Emma seems to break away from the silent conversation and answers me.

"This is Henry, my son."

I put on my best 'i'm completely innocent and we definitely weren't just staring each other down' smile before greeting him,

"It's nice to meet you Henry."

"Likewise," he says, slowly, clearly still judging me.

"So, Kai, what are you doing in Storybrooke?" Mary Margaret asks me, shifting my attention from the strange young boy.

"Oh, just travelling. Looking for a nice small town to settle down in, unwind for a while." Lies.

"Really?" Emma asks, but I know it's not a question. She doesn't believe me, none of them do, and they already know that I know about magic, and how this towns supposed to be hidden. I mean, I am lying about why I'm here, but the truth is, I don't really know yet. I just followed the pull of magic. I'd compel them but I don't want to risk it if it doesn't work, then they'll know something's definitely up.

I open my mouth to ask some questions of my own just as the door opens, letting a breeze from outside fly past my nose. I feel my mouth water as my gums tighten, realising I haven't had a proper drink in days, since I stole that guys car, and that wind just stirred up the scent of the walking blood bags in this diner. I can't expose myself this early, before I've earned their trust.

I get up, hastily, mumbling some excuse about forgetting to lock my hotel room door, before I run outside into the cool air, finally breathing again. I glance back into the diner as I walk away, noticing not only the three amigos staring at me but most of the other customers too. I wiggle my fingers at them before skipping off around the corner, hungry.

A/N: this is a filler chapter and it's awful but hopefully I'll start updating regularly soon, just 2 more weeks of school until I'm doneeeee