• As I Lay Dying •

Chapter Twenty-two

When I woke up the next morning, I looked in the mirror and saw that my eyes were red and puffy. I washed my face with cold water and heard nothing but silence after. Elena and Jeremy were still asleep, I opened Jermey's door quietly and saw his body sprawled on his bed.

 I sighed remembering yesterday and the sad look he had on his face. I closed his door quietly and went to check on Elena. Her face looked red and stained with tears also. We've lost so many of our loved ones, I don't think I can take anymore.

 I turned my head to the left and saw Jenna's door wide open. I walked in slowly and traced my hands across the blue walls and on her nightstand. She had a picture with me and Elena laughing at the camera. I felt tears run down my cheeks again as I picked up the picture. I laid it faced down so I couldn't see the picture. I walked out of the room and closed the door quietly.

"It will get easier" I heard a deep voice behind me and knew instantly who it was. "But you knew that" I turned around and faced Damon. His presence made my heart pound. I wanted to jump into his arms and cry my eyes out. But, we both know that would not happen.

"What do you want?" I spoke quietly so I woke no one up.

"I want to apologize" Damon felt guilty, I knew that already. I could tell by regret in his eyes.

I shook my head not having time for his games. "Damon-"

"Please, Nina" I shake my head but he stepped closer "Please" he begged. "Nina feeding you my blood, I was wrong"

"Yes Damon you were"

"And I know I don't deserve your forgiveness..." he suddenly took ahold of my hand. My eyes went down to our hands "...but I need it"

"And I need some time" I pulled my hand out of his grasp. Somehow I felt the pain in his eyes.

He nodded giving me a sad smile "Take all the time you need"

Damon and I stared into each other's eyes for what seemed like hours until he turned to leave and that's when I said. "Damon, please don't leave me" my voice cracked as tears fell down my cheeks.

"I'm not going anywhere" he spoke and took me in his arms. Suddenly my legs gave out from the pain in my chest and he grabbed my legs. He carried me to my bed and set me down gently. I curled up in a ball covering my mouth so my cries wouldn't be heard by my siblings.

"I- I can't- it hurts so much" I cried as Damon laid next to me and pulled me to his chest.

"I know shh, I'm here" Damon gently caressed my hair and soon enough I fell into a deep slumber.

"Nina?" I felt someone shake my arm. "Hey, Nina wake up" Elena looked at me concerned.

"I'm up I'm up what is it?" I sat up rubbing my eyes.

"I'm going into town-"

"I know the movie they are showing on a projector screen in town already," I said stretching my arms. "I've watched it a million times" and Elena smiled.

"You and Jenna love watching old movies" she spoke with a sad smile.

"We used to," I said and climbed out of bed.

"Well I wanted to see if you would wanna come"

"No I'm just gonna stay home today," I said and walked into the bathroom. I began to brush my teeth when Elena walked in and just stared at me.

"What is it, Elena?" I asked and her eyes suddenly began to water.

I wiped my mouth and went to her side. I hugged her tightly and she held everything in. Elena never was a person who showed big emotions. She didn't cry in front of me or anyone else. "I was so scared" she spoke.