• The Last Day •

Chapter twenty (picture of Nina, I imagine her to have ring curls)

I sat on the leather brown couch in the Salvatore boarding house listening to the conversation between Elijah, Elena, and Stefan. I was worn out mentally and physically. "But if he breaks it... he'll be a true hybrid" Elijah explains not even fully believing it himself.

"Then why don't we just kill him?" I roll my eyes as Mr. Knowitall walks in. "We can kill him today, with Bonnie" Damon looks towards Elena.

"No. Bonnie can't use that much power without dying" Elena shakes her head stubborn to not give up what she thought was right.

"I'll write her a great eulogy" Damon rolls his eyes at her.

"It is not an option Damon!" Everyone's head turned toward me.

After a minute of silence, Stefan asked the question we've all been wondering. "How do we break this curse?" He turns toward Elijah who is looking at me.

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know" Finally Elijah looks away from me and towards Stefan.

"The moonstone" Elena spoke.

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each."

"And where do we fit into it?" I realize I'm sitting at the edge of the couch.

"The final part of the ritual, Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgänger, to the point of your death" Elijah looks at Elena answering only part of my question.

"And that's where you come in" Not hiding the annoyance in my voice.

"This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago from Katerina, it possesses mystical properties of resuscitation" my eyes widened at the bottle in his hands. The liquid was clear like water but what it could do...

"So I'll be dead?" Elena spoke in a shaky voice.

"And then you won't" Elijah continued.

"That's your plan?" Damon spoke up. "A magical witch potion with no expiration date?" His anger showed through his voice. But, I knew Damon just didn't want anything to happen to any of us. He turned to Elena and spoke softly "you wanna come back to life, what about Johns ring?"

"That ring only works on humans, the doppelgänger is a supernatural occurrence, odds are the ring won't work" Elijah shook his head disagreeing.

"I'll take those odds over your elixir" Damon snapped back.

"Damon stop he is trying to help us" I stood from the couch and walked towards him. "Let him help us he knows more than we do"

Damon looks down into my eyes and he softened entirely. "What if the elixir doesn't work?"

"Then I guess we will just be dead," I said quietly.

"Wha- Nina-" Damon's jaw tightened and he turned and walked out the room.

"He has quite the temper," Elijah said.

"You have no idea" I sighed and sat back on the couch.

"Do we know if Klaus has everything he needs to do this?" Elena asked. "Does he have a werewolf?"

"Klaus has been waiting to break this curse for over a thousand years. If he doesn't already have a werewolf, my guess is by tonight he will"

"I'm gonna go check on Damon," I said and quickly left the dark atmosphere.