Chapter 33

After stopping my mate from killing the only people who can tell me about my crazy brother, I grabbed Adrian's hand and pulled him down the hall to the living room. Wesley and his 'boys' followed at a respectable distance. They hadn't said a word since we'd reached the pack house, which was good because Adrian clearly wasn't ready to hear them out yet.

I waved the guys into the living and pulled Adrian into the kitchen. He'd calmed down quite a bit, but I could tell that he was still a little freaked about the fact that I'd sneaked out of the house in the middle of the night. Granted, I couldn't exactly blame him. I was his newly discovered pregnant mate and co-alpha. My life's value skyrocketed in Adrian's eyes.

Adrian leaned back against the counter and interlaced our fingers. For a long time, he stared at our hands. His pulse beat steadily against my hands. Our mind link had calmed over the last couple of minutes, but his mind was still buzzing with questions.

"I know you're upset with me," I whispered. "I know that I scared you, and that I need to reign myself in...especially now that I'm pregnant."

He squeezed my hands, a small gesture that made me clamp my lips shut. When he raised his head to meet my gaze, his beautiful green eyes sparkled with tears. "I know that we still have a lot to figure out. For right now, I'm just glad that you and our pup are safe. That's all that matters to me right now."

I cocked my head to the side. "You're being strangely calm about this. Is there something you're not telling me?"

"I'm hiding most of my emotions from you," he confessed. "The full extent of what I'm thinking and feeling wouldn't be good for you or the baby. Besides, I need to brace myself for the impact of whatever news your new friends are going to tell me. Right?"

I nodded and stepped closer to lean against his chest. "I love you, Adrian."

He let go of my hands to hold me. The physical contact alone calmed and energized me at the same time, while the underlying emotions triggered something far more powerful. There seemed to be much more to this ancestral alpha power than anyone appeared to know. It scared me to think that we might never know the full extent of what raged through our wolf veins.

"I love you too, Sia," he whispered against my ear. "Now let's go see what these rogues have to say for themselves."

I took a step back and let Adrian lead the way to the living room. Wesley and the boys were standing in front of their fireplace, holding their hands out to the gas heated flames. When Wesley caught sight of us, he spun around and bowed his head in respect. The boys soon followed suit.

"I understand that you have some invaluable information," Adrian stated, directing a muted icy glare at the trio. I tugged on his hand as a reminder to be nice.

Wesley nodded and pulled the journal out of his jacket. "This journal belonged to Zeke, which he'd gotten from his mother...or that's what he says. From what he told me, both of his parents came from strong alpha bloodlines. Their heir would be one of the most powerful alphas to live."

Adrian's hand tightened around mine. He turned his head slightly towards me, our mind link buzzing with questions. I nodded in silent confirmation of Wesley's words. This was just the tip of the iceberg. If the possibility of my being a super alpha unsettled him, we'd need to sit down for the rest of it.

Adrian sank onto the couch and pulled me down onto his lap. I squirmed into a comfortable position and relaxed as Adrian wrapped his arms around my waist. The circle of comfort and protection settled the nervous roiling in my stomach.

Wesley perched on the edge of another couch, the journal balancing on his knee. "As overly proud and confident as Zeke was, he didn't share much information with anyone. I've told you everything that he told me. Over the years, I watched him read this journal more times than seemed healthy. After I saw you kill him, I broke into his rooms and found the journal. I only read a handful of pages, but I got the feeling that there was much more to the alpha bloodline."

When Wesley held the journal towards me, I stared at it for a good long minute before deciding that I needed to take it. My fingers curled around the well-worn leather, and sparks tingled across my skin. I shuddered briefly as I pulled the journal onto my lap.

"What exactly are you telling me?" Adrian croaked to Wesley. "What does this mean for us?"

I flipped through several pages of the journal, my eyes watering at the sight of my mother's handwriting. The accounts in the journal would take days to read through, weeks or months to comprehend. If I was the heir of two ultra-powerful alpha bloodlines, I was virtually unstoppable. But how did Adrian and our shared alpha eyes play into that?

"I wish I knew," Wesley sighed. "From the way Zeke behaved—his confidence and precision—I have to believe that all of your answers will be in that journal."

Adrian rested his chin on my shoulder for a moment. "Why don't you guys take a couple of the guest rooms in the east wing? We all can talk more in the morning."

Wesley rose to his feet with a nod and shuffled out of the room with the younger guys in his wake. Long after they'd gone and the living room was quiet, Adrian and I both stared at the open journal pages. My mom had left very detailed accounts of her own bloodline, and had traced as much of Daddy's bloodline as she could. Not to mention that there were several pages of Daddy's handwriting in the middle.

I drew a deep breath when Adrian's hand covered the pages. He knew that I couldn't handle all of it at once. Even without our mate bond, my body language and misty eyes probably said enough.

"We're pretty powerful, aren't we?" he huffed.

I leaned my temple against his forehead and sighed. "It would appear so."

---------------------------------------------------------

350 reads? Aww... thanks, friends!

Details of the alpha power coming soon!