Chapter 23

Jaxon and I ran through the north wing of the pack house, heading straight for the tunnel that would take us far enough away from the group that tracking us would truly require the rogue group to split. The tunnel had been built for secret escapes in case of extreme emergencies. Daddy once told me that, if we were ever attacked, Mom and I would need to run down that tunnel as fast as we could and not look back.

Now here I was running down that tunnel because we were getting attacked. I didn't have the foggiest clue what would happen when we got out of the tunnel, but I trusted Jaxon to take care of both of us. He and Adrian were strategists and never ran into anything blind. The two might have shared a plan through their mind link already.

Jaxon yanked open a thick wooden door at the end of the hall, revealing a dark passage with the tiniest lights showing the way. As much as I really didn't want to essentially trap myself in a dark tunnel with no end in sight, I knew we had to do it. I bit back a cringe and stepped into the tunnel. Jaxon followed me in and pulled the door shut.

"I know Adrian will probably have my head later," he sighed in the darkness. "Hang onto my hand while we run. It will make sure we don't get split anytime soon."

My wolf didn't put a fight as I grabbed his hand and let him pull me through the tunnel. I think we were so focused on what was coming that holding someone's hand besides my mate's didn't demand attention.

The end of the tunnel came far quicker than I expected, which meant we were emerging into the war and danger zone. Jaxon gave my hand a little squeeze right before he nudged another door open and twilight flooded the tunnel. I had to take a deep breath before daring to step outside. The second we left the safety of the tunnel, we'd become blazing targets for the rogues.

"Adrian and Ada will be leaving their tunnel in a couple minutes," Jaxon whispered. "We need to get moving to draw off the rogues."

My alpha instincts kicked into high gear, sending a rush of heat and boldness through my veins. I flinched as I wrestled my wolf into tight-reined submission for the time being. She would have her time as soon as the fight started. For now, I needed all my wits about me to listen to whatever Jaxon would tell me to do.

Jaxon and I stepped out of the tunnel and made a run for it. We ran hand-in-hand, side-by-side for nearly a mile before Jaxon pulled us to a halt at the edge of a clearing. I opened my mouth to question our location, but my wolf jumped into panic mode as my senses went nuts. The wet dog scent of rogues flooded my nose and the thunder of multiple feet bombarded my ears.

"Looks like this is where we make our stand, Alpha." Jaxon let go of my hand and sniffed the air. "Better prepare yourself, because they'll be here soon."

I closed my eyes and zoned my senses onto what was coming. Lots of feet, but with the math it came down to about eight rogues running at full speed. We didn't have enough time to strategize or discuss. It was fight to the death, and not be the ones dead at the end.

"You ready to let your true alpha out?" Jaxon breathed, rolling his shoulders in preparation for a fast shift.

My wolf growled her answer. I knew that, once I shifted, there'd be no holding her back. It was highly possible that she'd take full control and I'd black out until she was finished. I could become a vicious murderer and not know it until after it was all over.

"I guess we'll see what kind of alpha I truly am," I murmured, glancing around the clearing. "I just hope we all make it out of this."

Jaxon nodded and jogged into the clearing. I followed him and took my stance. Some alphas would argue against standing so open in a clearing, but Jaxon and I both knew these woods. Rogues might be able to hide among the trees for a time, but the only way to attack was to come into the open. The trees and shape of the clearing created something of a vortex that amplified every little sound. We'd hear them coming long before we ever saw them.

The first growl rumbled through the vortex as a decently built man stepped out of the trees. His eyes glowed yellow with a hint of red. His lips quivered in the snarl vibrating through his body. He latched his gaze on my face and held firm.

Yep, there was no doubt that I was the target, and every rogue would be gunning for me. Thankfully I wasn't fighting alone.

Jaxon stepped in front of me as another growl made me spin around. Back to back with him, I faced down a guy who looked about my age. He stared at me and swallowed hard. After shifting back and forth on his feet, he squared his shoulders and took another step forward.

"And so it begins," Jaxon muttered over his shoulder.

A shiver ran down my spine. "So it begins."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gaaaaa!! Okay, alpha fight coming up! Do you think Sierra's true alpha will come out? Just how powerful do you think she is?

Do you think it was smart for the co-alphas to separate? Are they still as strong when they're apart?