Chapter 32

Adrian rolled onto his side and reached for Sierra. When his fingers met lukewarm sheets where she should have been, he was wide awake in a heartbeat. How did she sneak away from him? When did she leave? Where would she go?

His alpha instincts kicked into high gear. Taking a deep breath, he reached out through their mind link in the hope that she'd just gone to get a glass of water. Maybe she hadn't been able to sleep with the excitement of the pregnancy. Maybe she'd gone to his office to look over the reports of the latest rogues.

Sierra? Where'd you go?

Her side of the link was firmly blocked, intentionally cutting off to prevent him from knowing her location or following her. That woman...

He jumped off the bed and snatched the nearest shirt off the dresser. Tugging it over his head, he ran out of the room and down the hall. Even if he couldn't contact her, he could sure as hell track her. His training far outranked hers and supplemented any alpha power. Unless Sierra had taken the time to mask her scent and cover her tracks, he'd find her.

The guard at the front door straightened to attention as Adrian flew down the stairs into the foyer. "Alpha..."

"Did you see Alpha Sierra leave the house?" he barked.

"No, Alpha." The guard shook his head. "I heard a sound coming towards the north wing several hours ago, but the north guard said he didn't see anyone. I assumed I'd heard him on patrol."

The north tunnel, Adrian's wolf huffed. She sneaked out through the north tunnel.

"Damn it, Sierra," Adrian muttered under his breath. If this was some hormonal pregnancy thing, they were going to have a serious talk about boundaries and communication.

With a waved dismissal to the guard, Adrian turned and jogged to the north wing. He was several yards from the tunnel door when it began to open from the outside. Before he could take a fighting stance, the door opened wide enough for him to see the person on the other side.

Sierra stepped into the hallway and froze when she caught sight of him. For a second, they just stared at each other. Adrian's wolf howled in relief as they sensed Sierra's wolf relax in recognition. From a quick look-over, she seemed unharmed. She hadn't even shifted.

"A-Adrian..." she stuttered, clearly unable to read his face. "I—"

He jogged the few yards between them and crushed her to his chest. "You scared me," he growled into her neck.

"I know," she whispered back, wrapping her arms around his waist and holding tight. "I'm sorry. My wolf woke me up and said the rogues were back."

"You went to face them yourself," he sighed, taking a moment to inhale her scent to calm down.

Sierra stood still for a long time, her heartbeat thumping against his chest. After a couple minutes of silence, she drew a deep breath. "They want to join our pack."

He jerked back and stared into her face. "The rogues that used to follow your murderous brother want to join our pack? You can't be serious."

"I'm quite serious," she shot back, her emerald eyes glowing as her alpha side came forward. "That's why I brought them back with me."

"You what?"

Three rough-looking men stepped out of the tunnel behind Sierra. Adrian spun to plant himself between his mate and the rogues. His canines pricked his bottom lip and his fingernails extended into short claws.

Before he could lash out at the rogues who dared to come anywhere near his mate, she locked her hands around his bicep in a vice grip. A sharp, alpha-powered tug yanked him around to face her. It only took a second for the wolves to lock gazes and one took control.

"Stand down, alpha," Sierra growled, the heat of her alpha command pouring out of her body.

For a second, Adrian and his wolf squirmed against the command. They were equals, and she'd expressed her desire to be the pack luna more than a co-alpha. Why was she inserting her power now? What changed?

He forced his body to relax in obedience. As his claws and teeth retracted, Sierra stepped closer and framed his face in her hands. The familiar sparks of their mate bond exploded through his body, calming him a bit more. He closed his eyes and let his mate into his frustrated, nervous, protective thoughts. For as long as they'd been mates and co-alphas, they still had a lot to learn and figure out together.

"I need you to trust me," Sierra whispered. "They gave me some very valuable information that you need to know. Can you trust me that I'm doing what's best for the pack?"

Man, she knew how to lay it on thick. When did she become such an...alpha?

He opened his eyes and nodded. "I trust you."

She offered one of her knee-weakening smiles. "Good. Then let's all go sit down, because we have a lot to discuss."

------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think, readers? Why is Sierra suddenly becoming such an alpha? Will Adrian accept the rouges like she seems to have done?

Sorry this is a shorter chapter. I had to prep Adrian for the load of history the rogues are going to share!