Avoid

I hear my alarm clock and practically jump out of bed. It has been almost a week since I've been "benched". Now I get to go hunt down the bastards that broke half my body. Okay maybe that was an exaggeration but I don't care. 

    Graham and the rest of the N.Y.P.D still have not found the two guys who broke in let alone who paid them to. I'm about to text Killian if he wanted to meet me for coffee but decide against it. 

    I think I should try to avoid seeing Killian for a bit. I need to focus on work and keeping Henry safe. That's it? My inner voice asks me. Well, I also feel guilty about Killian. He got hurt because he was in my house. He got a black eye because he wanted to protect me. None of this would have happened if I had just stayed away. I don't want anyone to get hurt because of me. Especially not Killian.

    I throw my phone on my bed and go get ready. I just miss him so much. The pain I feel when I think about how I won't see him for a while is almost more than if I tried to do 100 sit-ups with my (still healing) ribs. Wow, Emma so dramatic. Since when did you miss anybody this much?

    I ignore my inner voice and brush my hair careful to get rid of any knots that have been building during my week of isolation. I put on some mascara and lipstick but skip the foundation. A plus of this boring week has been the amount of sleep I've managed to catch up on. So at least I don't have any dark circles to cover up. Also, the bruises on my face have healed pretty well and I decide not to cover what still shows since I don't really care. Classic Emma. 

    I walk to the kitchen and play music on the loudspeakers. It's a good day. I'm rested, determined, and ready for work. Killian manages to creep into my thoughts but I ignore the sudden urge to text him. Instead, I make breakfast. 

    Henry already left for school so I enjoy a breakfast while listening to music. Oh, and I might have danced and sang along a bit but we don't have to talk about that. The music is so loud I don't hear the knock at the front door.

    After putting my plate in the sink I grab my bag and keys I walk towards the door. I check the time before I reach the door and curse "It's already 10!" I really got used to the stay-at-home-and-chill schedule, didn't I?

    I quickly walk to the door and throw it open and walk out. I'm greeted by the face of the guy I've been trying to ignore. Killian.

    I smile when I see him. I really did miss him so much. He looks good and for the record, I was right he does look even hotter with the bruise. Before I could jump into his arms I remember what I promised I would do. "Oh, hello Killian," I say taking a step back and locking the door behind me. 'Remember you have to stay away from him Emma'  I remind myself.

    "Emma I've been knocking for like 10 minutes I was starting to get worried," Killian says sounding upset. I shrug "Sorry I didn't hear you knock". 

    Killian looks at me up and down for a second but not in a weird checking out way but a are you okay or hurt way. "I'm fine," I say putting my bag on my shoulder. "I was just heading to work"

    "Work? Are you sure you're ready?" he asks clearly concerned but I answer "Yes, of course, I'm sure. I'm already late so I gotta go but it was nice seeing you again Kil". 

     I walk around him and walk away from a dumbfounded Killian Jones.

~~~~~

Killian's P.O.V.

    It's finally Friday I think as I jump out bed. It's been a week since the break-in at Emma's apartment. 

    Emma has barely talked to me since the incident but I figure it is just due to the fact that she's resting and doesn't want to be bothered. I told myself I had to wait at least a week before I go check on her. I offered to before of course but Emma refused.

    It has been a week and I finally get to see her. I've been worried about her and how her recovery is going. Though I would never admit this I have been texting Henry asking how she is constantly. The poor lad probably wants to block my number by now.

   I take a quick shower and do my hair. My eye has gotten significantly better and the bruise doesn't look that bad. After putting on my shoes, tucking in my shirt and grabbing a granola bar to eat on the way I practically sprint out the door.

    On my way to Emma's, I blast music in my car and tap the wheel to the beat. I'm nervous to see her. What if she's mad at me and that's why she's been so distant? What if her recovery is going slower than planned and she's in pain and miserable. The thought pains me so much I have to shake my head and turn up the music even louder in an attempt to drown out my thoughts.

    It didn't work. I also feel guilty. I should have been able to protect Henry and Emma. There was more I could have done. But no I just stood there helpless as the women I love was being tortured. I hit the steering wheel infuriated by my impotence. 

    The only thing keeping me from being consumed by my guilt is my excitement to see Emma. She'll make me feel better. She always does. I just don't want her to have to go through this alone and I won't.

    I get to Emma's apartment complex and start heading up to her room. When I reach the big mahogany door with the numbers 815 on the front of it I knock. I hear music playing inside so I know someones home. Should I call her?

    After a couple minutes of me just standing in the hallway awkwardly waiting for Emma to open the door I knock again. I straighten my back and stand up straight. What if someone else is on there? What if someone broke-in again? I really have to add a better lock to her door. What if Neal is in there? Shut up Killian, of course, he isn't. So why isn't she answering? 

    My internal debate is cut off when I hear the music cut off. Did she hear the knock? I hear the jingle of keys and I stand back a bit. I finally get to see her, hug her, hold her close and make sure she's okay. 

    The door swings open and a very confused and startled-looking, Emma, greets me. I tell her how I was starting to get worried as I take in how she looks. Her beautiful blond hair is draped over her shoulders and there is just a small trace of a bruise on her face.

    Emma assures me she's fine but I'm still worried. She increases my worry tenfold when she tells me she's on her way to work. Wait, work? She just got off bed rest so maybe this isn't the best plan. Work means looking for criminals. Dangerous criminals. I ask if she's really ready and she answers yes as if it was an absurd question.

    Before I could argue she should stay home or just go out with me she says she has to leave and walks around me. I turn around and blink, staggered. What just happened?

~~~~

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey guys! 

I am finally done with school and exams for the year. I plan to write and update a lot more this summer so I can't wait! Fun fact: I start work tomorrow and I am really nervous so wish me luck!

Also, did y'all enjoy seeing Killian's P.O.V? Poor guy just wants to help :/

Remember: Read, Comment, Vote, & Repeat!