Prologue

I tiredly approach my apartment after a long day of work. Yes I am aware that it is dangerous for a girl like me to walk alone this late at night, but my building is a short walk from the office. My mother has insisted time and time again that I stop over working myself, but I can't help it. The work is distracting and I love the feeling of my hands creating something beautiful. I take my keys out and unlock the latch attached to the heavy metal back door to my building. Once I step inside, I notice that the hallway is pitch black.

"Well that's strange," I say, talking to no one. I know the building manager always has the hallway lights on for safety purposes and the dark really isn't my thing. I'm afraid to walk in, but then remember where the light switch is. I quickly walk the three steps it takes and flash my phone on the one thing that is going to save me in this moment.

*Click*

The lights turn on illuminating the hallway and the flight of emergency stairs. Suddenly the building door behind me slams shut making me jump out of my skin. I quickly turn to see who came in because I could have sworn I shut it, but someone roughly blindfolds my eyes. I attempt to scream, but a strong smelling wet cloth is placed over my mouth and nose. The more I inhale and struggle to get out a scream, the heavier my eyelids get and I can feel my arms and legs weaken. As I breathe in to let out one more scream, I slowly begin to fall into a dreamless sleep.