After leaving, I checked its stats; everything was set at 666, its old trainer was named Beelze (which, again, both points slip into my sensitive area…), and it was caught at Lost Tower but contained in a cherish ball.

Clearly, it was hacked, but it’s what I get for offering up a hack first.

The stats and other information of the Pokémon disturbed me only for the fact that I didn’t like its name or information, but I assumed it was fine otherwise. Regardless, I didn’t want it, so I tried offering it up for trade again, this would be where I’d gladly accept a Magikarp. But, each time I tried to put it into the GTS, the game informed me that the Pokémon couldn’t be offered in a trade.

This had happened to me several times before when I tried to trade hacked legendaries, I assume there’s something in place that keeps people from getting truly ripped off, but I was able to trade that Rayquaza, and Beelze was able to trade me Hell Bell this go around. I didn’t know why it wouldn’t allow me to offer it again.

I still wanted to be rid of it; so obviously, the only other option I had was to release it. Before I went to the PC, however, I checked the item it was holding. The sender had attached mail to it, which was always fun, even though your choices for what to say are severely limited and the letters always come out painfully cheesy (That’s one of the things I don’t like, the revamp of the mail system).

I chose Hell Bell and selected to read the mail, though the letter wasn’t set up like it normally was in the game, it looked like it had actually been typed out like you used to be able to do in Gold and Silver. The message was only three words long:

"Take me back."

I wasn’t quite sure what that meant. I certainly couldn’t trade it again… even if I could, there was no way I could make sure Hell Bell got back to Beelze so I discarded the message and went to the PC to release it.

I selected the "deposit Pokémon" option and selected Hell Bell to release it, but each time the party sprite shrunk away, it immediately came back with the message saying something along the lines of, “Hell Bell doesn’t want to leave you!”

Again, this had happened before when I was clearing out my PC box in my second play through of Pearl. I wanted a little more room and decided to release a Shinx that I had caught early on in the game, but it kept coming back. I had thought it was cute then and made the Shinx (now a Luxray) a permanent member of my party since it appeared to like me so much… but now it was just annoying.

When I checked Hell Bell again, it was holding another mail item, which made no sense because I had taken it away the first time. I opened it and read a slightly longer message:

"I can’t go back on my own. Take me back."

Again, I took the item and tried to release it. Another failure.

When I tried to simply deposit it, the game told me to remove the mail item from the Pokémon before depositing. I know I had, twice, but upon checking it again, Hell Bell had yet another mail item in its possession.

"Lost Tower."

It was finally getting more specific, which I found oddly relieving rather than feeling a little uneasy as I probably should have been. At least I knew where it wanted to go…maybe it’d leave my party after I took it there. I’d like to know why this Pokémon was making my game behave so strangely. The Pokémon was hacked, not the game itself; as far as I know, a decent hack doesn’t affect the game and a bad hack can make it crash, but this was doing neither, more like something in between.

Eager to get rid of it, I left the GTS building and stepped out into Jubilife. I was too impatient to pick an actual flying type out of the PC, so I just taught one of the Rayquazas the move "Fly" and chose to use it. But, when I picked Solaceon Town from the map, the game informed that I couldn’t fly there. I know my brother had visited the city before, I don’t know why I couldn’t go there, but I didn’t take the time to actually think about it, I just flew to Hearthome instead.