7

Cheryl stood outside of the gymnasium. Inside, the boys were playing basketball, and she had to keep her eyes off of Billy's shirtless body. By the time Betty caught up to her, Cheryl was just a minute away from staring. Betty sighed. "Cheryl, let's go." Cheryl broke out of her daze and raised an eyebrow. "Right, sorry." She sauntered towards the car. 

Inside the car, Betty folded her arms. "Cheryl, are we going to talk about this?" Cheryl kept her eyes on the road. "I have no idea what you're talking about." Betty huffed. "Look, you told me all about Billy Hargrove, and then I find you gawking at him during practice. I think you've really hit a new record." Cheryl rolled her eyes. "I have the situation under control. I have no intention of becoming another one of his conquests." 

Betty shrugged. "You were acting the same way around Toni before you two got together, that's all I'm saying." Cheryl winced, and Betty realized what she had just said. "Oh, I didn't mean it like that Cheryl." Cheryl sighed. "It's no problem, Betty." Cheryl and Toni had a harsh breakup right before Cheryl left for Hawkins, and Cheryl had done her best to block that interaction out of her mind. 

When they got back to the house, Cheryl slammed the car door shut, and walked inside. Betty rubbed her forehead, and followed her in. The two hurried past the kitchen, hoping to avoid Penelope and whoever her guest was. 

Cheryl flopped down on her bed. Betty slowly set her bag down and sat in Cheryl's revolving desk chair. Cheryl sat up, a thought forming in her mind. "I've been thinking of what you said in the car, and I think you're right." Betty softly smiled. "Yeah?" Cheryl nodded. "I think I should be focusing less on Billy, and more on me." Betty sighed. "That's good." Cheryl smiled. 

All of a sudden, the doorbell rang. Cheryl raised her eyebrows. "I swear to God, if mother has another person coming  over, I'm going to kill her." Slowly, she walked down the stairs to open the door. Once she saw who was on the other side of the door, her heart started racing.