Chapter 12: Battle

Start from the beginning

"Welcome aboard, dragon rider!" Hiccup calls to Eret.

"Thanks. I think," Eret responds nervously.

Hiccup laughs and does a banking turn, meeting me by my side.

"Where have you been?" I ask.

"Oh, y'know. Catching up with mom." He points skywards.

I follow his finger to see the mysterious figure from earlier rising from the towering ice spikes atop the four-winged dragon. She has a staff raised high in the air. An earth-trembling roar follows as an absolutely humongous white dragon with large tusks rises from the ice behind her, roaring. My mouth falls open, knowing that that dragon can only be the legendary Bewilderbeast I had heard about in stories so long ago. It blasts an epic explosion of ice upon the attackers.

"That's your mother?!" I ask, bewildered. I had wondered what had happened to Hiccup's mom, seeing as I had only met Stoick. He had mentioned that he had never met either, but this...

"Well, now you know where I get my dramatic flair!" he yells. He flips his helmet down and turns Toothless.

On his mom's command, a swarm of Zipplebacks set themselves aflame and roll like fiery wagon wheels through the battlefield, scattering soldiers and destroying war machines. Two get caught underneath traps that look like Venus Flytraps. Hiccup and I make eye contact, nodding.

We double back and zoom into the sky, arcing gracefully. We flip over and blast the two traps in complete synchronization, freeing the trapped dragons. We high-five in victory as we fly past one another.

I look to the ground, where Drago stands near Hiccup's mother. He turns to the flagship and yells savagely, whirling his bull-hook overhead. The heavy chains are released. The underwater creature, now freed, breaks the surface in a cascade of seawater. It rises toward the shoreline, revealing itself to be a second Bewilderbeast; bigger, meaner, and covered in scars that indicate years of training and abuse. The chains fall away from iron cuffs fastened to its massive tusks.

"Another one?" I gasp.

"I WAS WAY OFF! THAT IS A CLASS TEN! CLASS TEN!" Fishlegs shrieks.

Drago's challenger lumbers onto the beach, focused on our side's Bewilderbeast.

"Come on! Take down the Alpha!" Drago hollers.

My eyes widen as Nightstar and I zip through the sky. The white one is the Alpha...like, the leader of all dragons?

The two Bewilders crash tusks, battling for dominance. I fly closer to the icy mass with Nightstar shooting boats as we go. Down on the ground, Drago and Stoick are now fighting. I do a banking turn, my mind racing for a plan on how to help.

What feels like the very earth shakes as the enemy Bewilderbeast takes down ours, plunging its tusks into its neck and burying its opponent's lifeless body under an avalanche of snow and ice.

I don't say a word, although my lips mouth the word "no" as I watch the mighty beast fall. It didn't take long for Drago's to win.

I watch in horror as dragons everywhere land and bow their heads in acknowledgement of the new Alpha; Drago's Alpha.

"Now finish her!" Drago commands, pointing to Hiccup's mom.

The gargantuan beast inhales and blasts ice at her. She hops on her dragon and tries to fly away. I spot Hiccup near me, his face fearful.

"Thora! Remain nearby!" he orders as he zooms towards Drago. "Don't interfere unless you need to!"

"You got it!" I call.