Chapter 3: Berk

"Here we are! Home sweet home!" Tuffnut yells.

My eyes widen at the sight before me as my lips part in awe. The village is astounding, with elaborate huts and a Great Hall in the side of a mountain. There's large arena seating near what looks like a race track. In other places, dragons fly around helping with fishing or collecting wood. I hear clanging and smell smoke coming from a forge, where people are lined up to buy things.

I've seen a lot of villages before, but this one is definitely one of the most astounding that I've ever witnessed.

"It's beautiful," I murmur. Nightstar roars in agreement.

The other dragons around us let out roars as they swoop downwards, heading for a spacious patch of land. Nightstar pulls to a stop and hovers in midair, looking back at me. I purse my lips, my stomach tight and my limbs rigid.

Hiccup pulls up next to me, Toothless beating his wings as they remain near us. He smiles at me, but the kind gesture does little to soothe my nerves.

"Follow me. You should meet my dad first," he says. "Let me know if things get too crazy."

I only nod. He spurs his dragon forwards and Nightstar follows without waiting for a signal from me. Usually, that would annoy me, but right now I'm just glad that she's being friendlier than I am.

We touch down and I slip off of Nightstar's back easily. Automatically, I can see many of the Vikings around us looking up and staring at me in awe. I swallow and raise my head, adjusting my auburn braid and reverting back to my usual look; strong and silent.

Toothless shambles over to Nightstar, standing next to her as a growl of greeting passes his lips. She seems to laugh at whatever he said, making me smile without even thinking. Seeing my dragon looking so at ease.

Something grabs my hand, causing me to jump and recoil my arm. I meet Hiccup's shocked look, his hands held up. We stare at each other for a second before an apologetic smile flickers across his face.

"Uh...sorry," he says, clearing his throat. He holds his hand out to me. "May I? I don't want to lose you in these crowds."

I swallow, keeping my strong outward appearance as I take his hand again. He exhales before he turns and starts leading me away, instantly causing panic to rise in my chest. I look over my shoulder at Nightstar. She gives me a reassuring look, as if silently telling me to remain calm, before we disappear from her view.

Hiccup keeps leading me, heading in the direction of a large man wearing a horned helmet and a fur cape. He stands at the entrance to the Great Hall, his burly arms crossed over his chest. He has a full beard that takes up most of his face, which is creased with age. I can't help but compare him to my father, who was a rather slim man, much like Hiccup and his friends. Most of the men in my village were like that.

The man's eyes flicker with confusion and curiosity as Hiccup leads me up the steps towards him. I release Hiccup's hand immediately, lifting my chin a tiny bit more.

"Dad, this is Thora. Thora, this is Stoick the Vast, chieftain of Berk," Hiccup introduces, gesturing his hands between the two of us as he speaks.

I bow my head respectively, growing impossibly more nervous; especially since Hiccup is the chieftain's son. That's basically royalty.

Stoick looks me over and nods curtly. "Come in and we'll talk," he says, his deep voice rumbling.

He turns and moves towards the large doors. I look back in Nightstar's general direction, still feeling anxious for my best friend. Hiccup's hand grasps my wrist after another second, making goosebumps erupt on my skin.