Chapter 16

A/N: I will release Updates early if I have more than one draft ready for you guys. This is so that, in case an emergency pops up and I can't get around to writing, I will have at least something to give to you. Enjoy. 

Within the Nightingale Forest, the sounds of nightlife awoke and created an ambience that lulled those within into a sense of peace. This was one of the dangers of this forest due in part because of the nasty things that came out at night. Not only did travelers need to be wary of beasts attacking their camps but even the forest had a mind of its own. 

Some have said that on nights that Homnidae glowed brightest, it's amethyst rays will break through the trees' overhang and induce a type of illusion. Purple fog will sneak across the forest floor and lead wayward travelers further in; until they lose all sense of direction. 

Sitting beneath those large trees was a small group of travelers, travel worn, seeking warmth from an open fire. Beneath the branches and large leaves, the forest was cut off from any warmth the sun could've given during the day. 

"Damn, why's it so cold," chattered Nathaniel as he attempted to warm his hands over the fire. Nathaniel had opted for wearing a normal long sleeved shirt because of how cold it was. 

He glanced over to where Lily sat and couldn't help but frown in worry. She was currently still in her battle gear but didn't show any signs of being cold. Lily noticed his stare and her red eyes narrowed in thought. 

"Give me a minute," she softly spoke before shutting her eyes. Her hand landed on the forest floor and pushed her magic out. 

All the boys were watching her, so they noticed when something changed within their surroundings. Nathaniel and Leo's eyes constricted as they watched the roots of the surrounding trees begin to slide across the ground towards them. Vincent seemed as though he wasn't affected by the strange occurrence. 

They watched as the tree roots twisted together and begun to form a canopy to surround them. It took a long time for it to form into a semblance of a wooden igloo because the roots were so rigid but Lily finally got them positioned enough to keep some of the cold out. In the center of the roots above them was a small hole for the fire's smoke to disburse. 

"Better," she asked as her eyes opened. Lily smiled when she received a couple of nods from the boys. They were all tired because this was the first time they've walked so long so no one really wanted to cook; plus the smell of food would probably notify the surrounding beasts of their whereabouts. 

Lily touched her stars and opened the space to bring out the jerky she made before they left. She'd made a large quantity so she wasn't worried about sharing. 

"Here. I made this before we left."

Nathaniel leaned forward to take the jerky from her hands before passing it towards Leo who passed it towards Vincent. Once everyone had some they begun to slowly eat. 

"Oh~ This is so good," Leo exclaimed as he continued chewing the meat, "You made this?! Will you marry me already?"

Lily covered her mouth and chuckled as she attempted not to choke on her food. Nathaniel turned and glared at Leo before slapping him upside the head. 

"Leonard is correct. This Jerky is enjoyable to consume. Which meat did you use?"

Vincent spoke up as well but kept flipping the meat around in his hand as though it could tell him the answers to his questions. He'd realized as he bit into the food that the sweetness offset the spiciness. This also seemed to help a bit with his previous stomach problems.

"Mm, I used the meat of Flaming Spiram. The 'Spirals' are full of soft meat and the element of fire gives it a kick of spiciness."

A Flaming Spiram looked similar to a ram and sheep blended together except the 'wool' wasn't fur but flesh shaped in spirals on this beast. It's horns spiraled out of its head with flames covering them. 

"Really? Did you hunt it yourself," Nathaniel asked as he continued tearing into the meat. He was really enjoying the two opposing flavors blending together. 

"Yes. I had a bit of free time since Helena has been sleeping," she mumbled and then went silent as her mind drifted towards her daughter. Lily hoped that she would get better soon; wishing that Damon would send word of her wellbeing. 

Nathaniel realized Lily's train of thought and reached a hand out to touch her softer ones. His thumb stroked back and forth on the top of her hand to give comfort but he lost his reasoning for a while as he immersed himself in how smooth her skin felt. Leo, noticing Nathaniel having lost his soul, coughed before elbowing Nathaniel in the ribs. 

"Ow! Damn it, Leo," he growled as he retracted his hand and glared at Leo. 

Lily looked up and smiled as both began to bicker with one another. Her eyes shifted away and stared into the fire as Vincent got up and walked to sit on her other side. 

"You shouldn't worry yourself overly much. Helena is strong and will awaken in her own time. Worrying will only harm you."

She turned towards him and gave him a small smile before caressing his short black hair. 

"When did you get so smart?"

She was merely teasing him but he answered back seriously, "I've procured my knowledge over the years with the excessive amount of books I've acquired within the Library. They're filled with answers to many questions should you ever need advice."

Lily laughed because of how serious Vincent always was but couldn't really be upset with his matter-of-fact tone. It is how he has always been and the only Vincent she has known. 

"You're right. I'll make sure to read a book the next time I seek answers," she easily agreed.

Both Leo and Nathaniel had stopped their childish fight when they realized that Vincent had taken the opening to get closer to Lily. They gave Vincent glares but he merely gave them apathetic glances before returning his attention to the meat. 

After they had their fill, they begun to discuss on who would take first watch. Vincent had opted out of arguing and prepared for bed but Leo and Nathaniel were bickering over which one would sit watch. 

Lily had been listening from the side and decided to intervene, "Both of you can get some rest. I'm stronger Magically so I'm not in as much need for sleep as the both of you." (I don't know why but spellcheck kept trying to make 'in as much' to 'inasmuch'.... is that even a word?)

They tried to object but in the end they gave in when they realized Lily was going to be stubborn and stay awake regardless if one of them decided to sit watch or not.

Lily rested her back against one of the roots that made up part of the enclosure and stared off into the forest through the small 'door'. She kept adding wood into the fire in order to keep the sleeping boys warm throughout the night. It was only the first day and she was already missing home but she couldn't and wouldn't turn back now. Her eyes slightly shut as she linked her magic into the surroundings to give herself a more accurate sense of what surrounded them. If anything attempted to harm her or the boys she would make sure to eradicate them. 

Inclementia was bursting to be released to 'have some fun'.