Chapter 4

Lily:

After we returned home, Nathaniel took Helena to her room to rest and I left her Journals next to her. The only exception was the creepy black book. I returned to my room with it in hand and hid it inside of one of my hidden drawers guarded by blocks I placed on it. 

Once I was sure it was safe, I left the room. Nathaniel was waiting for me in the Hallway. I let out an exhausted sigh. 

"What's the matter, Nathaniel?"

He looked at me with concern and I noticed how the muscles in his pectoral and cheek twitched as he contemplated on what to say. Over the years I've begun to understand each of the boys many nuances. 

"There's more to what happened then you're telling me."

It was a statement instead of a question. I raised an eyebrow before turning to walk towards my Garden. Nathaniel kept up with my smaller strides. 

"What do those strange Markings really mean?"

They were 'strange' because most Markings were colored and blended with the skin. The ones that showed up on Helena were raised and black. Usually that wouldn't seem so weird but the black didn't look like ink but instead seemed like frost bitten skin. 

I bit my lip as I crossed one arm across my chest to hold the other shoulder in a semblance of comfort. I'd been truly frightened by the entire thing that happened at the Unlocking Ceremony. It made me wish Damon were home right now. 

"That only happens when a specific God or Goddess gives a blessing," when he seemed confused I clarified, "the raising of flesh part, not the coloring."

"Okay. That doesn't answer my question though about what actually happened. Plus, you made sure to take away and hide the journal she received after the 'blessing'."

His pointed look couldn't be ignored. I could feel the tears begin to well in my eyes before I vanquished them back to where they came from. 

Pulling myself together I explained, "Blessings can be many things and usually are done during times of need. Say for instance: A great war will take place and humanity will fall to ruin. A Hero is born and blessed to ascertain victory and peace," I made sure he was keeping up with what I was saying before continuing, "Helena wasn't blessed by anything good. From what I could understand from the Marking it is some form of 'domination' and 'harbinger'. What those two mean? I don't know. The only sure thing I know is that the Journal she received from the blessing reeked of bad."

"Bad?"

"I don't know how to explain it Nathaniel," we reached the Gardens and when I noticed his pause at the entrance I glanced at him, "You may come inside and I will continue if you wish."

He gave me a slight smile before taking a step inside. It was the first time anyone aside from myself has been inside since the mishap with Helena a few years back. Nathaniel bowed his head slightly in thanks for allowing him inside my personal haven. 

We approached the center where I usually sat to meditate. He took up his spot where he'd sat those years before. 

"I've met many who have spilled blood," I gave him a considering look and he fidgeted but I just gave him a gentle smile to ease his worries, "It has never felt 'bad' or 'evil'. There are things that just reek of corruption. That Journal is one of them. I refuse to allow her to read it because it would devour her. One thing I could gleen was... it would eventually devour her soul. I touched it just for a moment and it had begun to feed on mine."

He jumped up and rushed towards me. 

"Are you okay?! Why didn't you say something before?! You are hurt," Nathaniel began to use his magic to rub my arms and enter my bloodstream to check and make sure nothing else was wrong. I gave him an amused look. He was such a mother hen. I'm glad he has become more friendly with the others since he was younger. 

"I'm fine Nathaniel," I reached a hand up and pushed back a few stray strands of his grey hair behind his ear when they fell into his eyes. 

Nathaniel froze and stared back at me. When I realized how close his face was a blush began to creep up my neck. I looked away from his gaze and let out an awkward cough. The tension between us dissipated and he moved back to where he had originally been sitting. 

Although Nathaniel may have grown and become much more handsome in his age, he was still that little boy that had been broken. The one I'd brought home and taken care of. It made me uncomfortable that at times I'd find myself forgetting these things. 

"How has schooling been?"

I tried to steer the conversation away from myself as I looked down and readjusted the black gauzy skirt I was wearing today. He didn't answer right away and I feared he wasn't going to at all. 

"It is alright. Although, to be honest, I find no real reason to join the class lectures. We are given journals that fit our talents at the Unlocking Ceremony and I've been training with Damon since before that. Anything I would need to know or learn could easily be taught by him."

To me it merely seemed like a child pouting about having to do homework; I couldn't help a slight smile. 

"It is good to go though. You can make many friends and connections this way."

He rolled his emerald eyes before narrowing them at me, "I don't wish for friends. I've got my hands full with all of you in this house as is. Vincent and Leo are both menaces."

I chuckled in amusement, "Vincent has come out of his shell; I've noticed. Leo.. well, he's a handful. Did Vincent tell you about how he set up a trap in the hallway?"

His eyes took on confusion before he shook his head no.

"He tied a Magical Arachnid's webbing from one wall to the other and placed an invisibility Rune on it," I deadpanned as I stared at Nathaniel, "I walked into it and ended up almost face planting before he caught me."

My lips pressed together as I refused to laugh at Leo's idiocy. Nathaniel looked enraged and incredulous at the same time. 

I nodded my head at him, "Yes, I know. When he caught me he looked me straight in the eyes and said 'You've finally fallen for me'.. I'm not sure what goes through that kid's head."

Nathaniel barked out a laugh before cutting it off with a grimace. I could tell that he hadn't meant to laugh at Leo's ridiculous pick up lines. Leo seemed to come up with the most ridiculous things. 

"Speaking of, they should be back soon. I'll go meet them and leave you to your training."

I gave him a slight incline of my head to acknowledge his departure before taking a deep breath and allowing myself to fall into my Magic.