•Chapter 24•

WHEN ASHER AND I pulled up in the school parking lot, Jake was by his car as he swung his car keys on his finger.

I got out of the car with Asher following suit and we began to make our way to the school main doors.

"Alexis!" Jake shouted and he sprinted towards us. "Can we talk?" he asked then looked over at Asher, "in private?"

I looked over at Asher who only shrugged, "be my guest, I'll be inside with the football guys if you need me," he said and left the two of us.

"What do you want to talk about?" I asked as I adjusted my bag on my shoulder.

Jake ran a hand through his hair, "I don't really know how to ask this but do you know what's up with Nick?" he said after awhile of silence.

"What do you mean?" I asked. "Is he sick or something?"

"No!" Jake exclaimed, "he's just been acting a lot differently. he's smiling a lot and he actually seems happy after so long," he said. "Do you happen to know why?"

I shook my head, "no but why don't you ask him?" I asked as I began walking to the school entrance.

"Fair point," he noted as we maneuvered our way through the crowd of students. "I guess I'll see you at lunch then?"

"Sure."

Jake waved and then headed in a different direction. I couldn't help but wonder if I was the reason Nick was acting differently. Could it be the kiss we shared?

No that's not it. I'm sure there is something else.

I made my way to Physics class and tried to pay attention during the class but I just couldn't. I was too busy thinking about Nick and how his soft lips felt against mine that I didn't realise when the bell rang.

I grabbed my things and walked to the next class. The rest of the morning was mostly a blur as I barely paid any attention to any of the things the teachers were saying in all of my classes and that was saying something considering I only took five classes and two of those were with Nick.

Lunch time rolled up and I didn't want to face Nick. What if he didn't like me back and I was only fooling myself? What if he acted like nothing happened? The questions burned in my head as I entered the cafeteria and searched for the three guys.

I spotted them at what I assumed was their usual table. To my luck, Brianna and Jenna were sat there too. I released a breathe and slowly made my way over.

The two girls were laughing at something that Kai had said from the looks of it.

"Hey!" I said once I was close enough for them to hear me.

Brianna and Jenna were the first to turn around and sent fake smiles my way before returning their gazes back to the boys.

"Oh thank God you're here," Jake muttered, "I was beginning to think you'd bailed on us."

I shook my head and laughed, "I could never bail on you guys," I said.

I stood there looking for a place to sit but all the chairs at the table seemed to be taken up.

"Leave," Nick said to the girls that were glued to Kai and him like leeches.

They stood up hesitantly as Jenna ran her hand up and down Kai's arm. "I'll see you later," she purred in his ear in what was supposed to be a seductive voice.

The two girls looked me up and down before flipping their hair and heading to their usual table where Steph sat throwing glares my way.

I took a seat next to Jake. "Those two are like leeches," he whispered in my ear and I chuckled.

"Tell me about it," I whispered back.

"What's so funny?" Nick asked.

"Nothing," Jake and I answered simultaneously.

Nick looked at us weirdly with his hands crossed over his chest and didn't say anything. I immediately looked away as I felt the heat rising to my cheeks.

"Okay what the hell is going on here?" Jake asked noticing out odd behavior.

"Nothing," I replied immediately looking at Nick but regretting it as he was staring at me amused.

"Okay I'm not blind and I know something's up with you two, now out with it," he persisted.

"Quit bugging them," Kai chipped in with a mouth full of food. "They said nothing is wrong so obviously nothing is wrong."

I fidgeted in my seat as I avoided looking at Nick or Jake in case I blurted out something I shouldn't. I took a water bottle from my bag and hastily chugged it all down.

"Someone was thirsty," Nick commented with an amused smile.

"Um yeah," I replied awkwardly avoiding eye contact at all cost.

"Alexis relax," Kai said, "live a little and live in the moment. That's all you've got to do."

We all looked at Kai with raised eyebrows. "What are you talking about? Are you high or something?" Jake asked. "We all know you're weird but that's just taking it to a whole new level dude."

Kai shrugged, "I'm not high, what I'm saying is," he said taking a sip from his bottle, "we all need to learn to live in the moment. Carpe diem."

The three of us looked at each other then at Kai before bursting into laughter at his new found weirdness.

"Okay dude, whatever you say."

Kai shrugged, "your loss. Don't come crawling to me when you're all old and wrinkly and didn't live your life to the fullest," he said.

"Alexis I'd like to ask you something," Nick said leaning across the lunch table and facing me.

"Okay," I responded.

Kai and Jake who began arguing stopped and faced their friend with curious expressions.

"I had fun on our date last Saturday and I'd like for us to do that again and get to know each other better," he said. "So will you be my girlfriend?" he asked with a winsome smile.

I was speechless as I gazed into his forest green eyes, "I did have fun as well and yes I'll be your girlfriend," I replied feebly.

Nick grinned from ear to ear as he took my hands in his and moved them to his lips to place a gentle kiss.

"Pay up loser," Jake said to Kai who took out a $100 bill and reluctantly handed it to him.

"I can't believe I lost. I was so sure she'd fall for my charisma or at least last another three weeks," Kai retorted.

"You guys bet on us?" Nick asked amused. "When will you learn to grow up," he said as he shook his head with a smile.

"Speak for yourself," Kai replied, "you're not the one who lost and to make matters worse, to Jake of all people."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Jake asked sounding offended.

"The obvious duh," Kai rolled his eyes, "my ego can't take this," he fake yowled, "my poor poor ego can't take it."

Kai was yowling unstop, "Aww stop crying," I said gently rubbing his back as Jake and Nick rolled with laughter. "It's going to be okay."

"No it's not," Kai said peeking through his hands, "I no longer have anyone to try my amazing pick up lines on and I just lost to Jake, Jake of all people." he said yowling even louder.

"I'll still be here for your pick up lines," I tried to reassure him as I fought a smile.

"It's not the same," he yowled.

I was fighting the laugh that was bubbling up inside and I just couldn't contain it any longer as I too, burst into laughter.

"You're the most childish teenage boy I've ever met," I commented as tears began rolling down my face.

*
*
*
Please Vote! Comment! Share! & follow!

~A