•Chapter 16•

WHEN I WOKE up the next morning, the first thing I knew I was definitely going to do was avoid Nick at all costs. I couldn't be around him knowing full well what my mum did and how she embarrassed me in front of him and his little sister.

So here I am, standing by my locker with Asher as I constantly kept looking over my shoulder so I could spot him and then make a mad dash for it.

"Why do you keep looking over your shoulder as if you're expecting someone?" Ash asked as he leaned on the locker next to mine.

"That's because I am trying to spot someone and make sure he doesn't see me," I replied as I continued to arrange my books according to my class schedule.

"Who? and why?"

"Nick," I said. I didn't want to retell the story over again but knowing Asher he was not going to have it so I told him the shorter version. "When you ditched me on Saturday which by the way I have not forgotten, mum had a few plans up her sleeve and thought it would be fun to play matchmaker."

Asher stood up straighter at that, "she tried to set you up with Nick? Him of all people?" he asked seeming on edge.

"Beats me but I really don't want to see him because it will be embarrassing for me after what mum said," I replied as I looked over my shoulder once more.

"Well good luck with trying to avoid him because here he comes with his friends and they seem to be heading straight in this direction," Ash said stuffing his hands into his jeans and leaning against the locker casually.

I quickly slammed my locker shut and turned in the direction Asher was looking in to see that indeed, they were approaching us and I made eye contact with Nick. I immediately looked away and turned back to Asher, "I'll see you at lunch," I said and began walking away from him without wasting a second.

"Don't be like that Alexis," I heard him shout from behind me as I made a turn and entered my first class of the day, History.

Mrs. Briggs was sitted at her desk going over some work on her laptop when I entered class. She looked up from her laptop through her glasses and stared at me before returning back to what she was doing. I quickly took my seat and waited for the other students to arrive since I was five minutes earlier.

I kept glancing at her every so often and wondered why she was always so mean to every student she taught, was it that we were the insufferable ones or was it how she naturally was? I guess I'll never know. Soon the other students began to fill in the class and Mrs. Briggs closed her laptop and stood up to begin the lesson.

The lesson went by smoothly just like the rest of the morning classes and soon it was lunch time and I couldn't wait to get something to eat because I was famished.

I quickly headed to the cafeteria and ordered some chips, a salad and a water bottle before making my way to our usual lunch table at the other side of the cafeteria.

"Someone is hungry," Parker commented as he sat down next to me followed by Evan, Drake and then Rick.

"I didn't eat," I replied as I took a sip from my water. "Where's the team captain anyway?" I asked referring to Asher.

"He's held up with something," Parker said.

Rick and Drake both scoffed, "what he means is that Asher is busy making out with Steph by the boys' locker room," Rick answered. "That guy can sure get some if you know what I mean," he added as he wagged his eyebrows in a very suggestive manner.