•Chapter 40•

THERE WAS A loud beeping sound that I kept hearing and I wasn't sure what it was. I tried opening my eyes but I couldn't, it felt like they were glued together with superglue or sewed shut.

I tried lifting my hand to rub my eyes but there was someone holding on to it with an iron like grip.

Am I dead already? This is not the way I wanted to go, my subconscious said.

No of course I'm not dead, because if I was then I wouldn't be talking to my subconscious right? Right.

I pushed myself harder until my eyes finally opened and I looked around to see that I was still in my hospital room. The thing making the beeping noises was the heart monitor I was plugged to. A sigh of relief fell from lips because I wasn't died....yet.

I rolled around and saw Nick sleeping on one of the chairs in a very uncomfortable position clutching onto my hand with a firm grip. His usually perfect hair looked dishelved and my heart clutched at seeing him there but then the memories of what happened reappeared and all I wanted to do was get away from him. Slowly, I pulled my hand out of his to make sure I didn't wake him up.

"You're awake," he said as his eyes snapped open and gazed into mine, "I was worried about you when the doctor said you would be out a while longer than necessary due to how weak you've gotten."

I looked away from him because I didn't want to be made a fool. "Please leave,"

"What! Why?" he asked.

I had to remain strong and not let him get to me. "You know why."

There was a long pause before he replied. "I don't know what you're talking about," he answered.

There was a moment of silence as something finally seemed to click with him. "Is this about Chloe?"

I didn't say anything because I knew he understood what exactly my silence meant.

"Oh come on Alexis!" he said and turned me to look at him, "nothing happened between me and her. You have to trust me on this one. I would never cheat on you, ever."

"Why should I trust you when I saw you kissing her right in front of the reception?" I asked harshly. "You don't really think I'm now stupid just because I'm sick do you?"

"You've got to be kidding me right now!" he exclaimed as he threw his hands in the air exasperatedly. "She kissed me, not the other way around. You have to know that I wouldn't ever cheat on you with her of all people. I wouldn't ever cheat on you, period."

Maybe I should trust his word because I didn't really see him kiss her back. All I saw was her attach her lips to his before I ran and well....collapsed.

You have trust issues, my subconscious reminded me. You need to stop being too closed off and learn to let people in.

Sighing, I closed my eyes and took a huge breath of air before I slowly opened them and pinched the bridge of my nose. "I believe you," I said and I hoped I wasn't making a mistake by giving him all of my trust.

"Thank you for trusting me, I swear I'll never do anything to hurt you, either intentionally or not," Nick said as he wrapped his hands around me in form of a hug.

"But why me?" I asked still holding onto him. "She's beautiful and rich and any sane guy with eyes and half a brain can see that."

A humourous laugh fell from Nick's lips, "any sane guy would also know to stay away from her, she has a few, no scratch that, she has all the screws missing in that head of hers."