The Reaping

A/N: As the first chapter of this story, the writing isn't that great. Once we get into the games, you'll notice a significant difference. You can see the difference when you look at my other HG fanfic, 'The 8th Hunger Games: Blue Moons and Shell Games'. As always, I'd love to see some reviews! I've gotten over 100 on this on fanfiction.net, so I think I deserve around that amount for this version as well! Don't criticize my grammar though, I've learned my lesson about that but haven't really bothered to fix it.
This will be updated daily probably, because it is already complete and on fanfiction.net under the same name, but my username is Emberwind8. Feel free to read ahead there!

I DO NOT OWN THE HUNGER GAMES!!!!

For the readers: At the end of the 74th Games, Katniss killed Cato and Peeta. Just wanted to clear that up.
Otherwise the story wouldn't really work. And the rebellion obviously didn't happen.

Prologue:

        Revenge. It's all I need. Revenge on Katniss Everdeen. I am Aqua, sister of Cato. And probably the winner of the 80th annual Hunger Games.

        "You need to make sure you get up to the stand before anyone else," explained the head trainer, Emberlynn, "you all know that you're the strongest and most fearless of your District."

        I stand with Stingra, Hunter, Parker, Rosie, and Jack, the other trainees planning on representing their Districts. We are all at the Career Training Center in District two, where most Careers are trained before going into the Games. Tomorrow is Reaping Day.

        "Make a show out of it if you can, push anyone else out of the way. Make yourself look better than everyone else. That's how you get sponsors. Just make sure you get up there. You may leave now."

        We all have been training together for years, and tomorrow it will pay off. We will be the greatest alliance in Hunger Games history.

Chapter One:

        I couldn't sleep last night. The excitement was building up, ready to burst. I can let it out today. Because today is Reaping Day. Waking up was easy, and instead of moping around because I had to wake up at least two hours early, I got straight to work. When people watch the Reaping, they pay close attention to the tributes, so I knew I had to make an impression not only in what I did, but also how I looked. For less than a second I thought about dressing in something nice, but that was all. I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that I started my Hunger Games journey looking like a normal teenage girl. I was more than an average teenage girl. I was a Career Tribute from District Two.

        So I put on a plain teal t-shirt, my favorite color, black jeans, and black combat boots. I pulled my hair back into a ponytail, hating that it was naturally pretty and wavy. That was all I needed to do. Any normal person should realize that a girl who doesn't wear a fancy dress to the Reaping is worth their time. I ate a simple breakfast consisting of a piece of toast, milk, and an egg. Waiting for the Reaping is definitely the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life.

        When my parents finally woke up and got ready as well, we set off for the center of the town for the Reaping. It's the only place that could hold everyone in the District. When I got there, the Peacekeepers took my blood sample, and I was free to go stand with the other eighteen year olds. For years I've been watching them in envy, hoping that one day that would be me volunteering. My time has finally come.

        On the other side of the square I see Parker, the other Career representing District Two. We exchange a glance, but nothing more. No one needs to know we're volunteering. My parents don't even know. We stand here for a while waiting for the rest of the District to come. Every minute feels like an hour. Then I see Emberlynn walk onto the stage, she's also District Two's escort.

        "Ladies and gentlemen, this is the moment you've been waiting for all year! Reaping Day! It's time to pick our two tributes..."

        She puts her hand in the boys' jar first. She opens up the card, and clears her throat.

        "The male tribute is... Jordan Orville!"

        As soon as she says the name, at least ten boys shout "I volunteer as tribute!" including Parker.  But Parker is faster than the rest of them. He sprints to stage, already in front of them. Emberlynn smiles as he leaps up the stairs.

"What is your name?" she asks Parker, though she already knows the answer.

        "Parker Brown," he says.

        "Congratulations on being District Two's male tribute, Parker! And now for the girls."

        My heart races as she puts her hand in the jar. What if it's me? I can't be me.

        "Myleena Ganum!"

        I scream into the air along with a few others, "I volunteer as tribute!"

        A girl standing two rows in front of me jumps out at the same time as me, along with some others behind me. I catch up to her quickly, and push her to ground. I run past her and get up on the stage. Emberlynn looks pleased to see me.

        "What is your name?" she asks me.

        "Aqua Pyrette," I say.

        "Congratulations on being District Two's female tribute. Now shake hands," she says.

        We do. This is my time to show the world that my family never stops trying. I wave to my District as Emberlynn escorts us off of the stage to the train.

        "I'm so glad both of you made it!" she exclaims, "Aqua, I think you just gained some sponsors, Parker too. Now each of you will have a few minutes to say goodbye to people. Then you get on the train. After that the train leaves, and there's no turning back."

        Parker and I each went into a room where we would meet people saying goodbye. When I get on, my parents are there a few seconds later. They are crying.

        "How could you? After what happened to your brother I would've thought you would have the sense to stay back! I can't believe you did this to us!"

        I am shocked. I really thought that they would've cried happy tears, and congratulated me. I am about to say something back to them, but they had left. I am alone.

        The next people to arrive were my best friends, Cat, Scarlett, Hestia, and Peri. They have the exact opposite reaction as my parents. They high-five me and tell me how awesome I am.

        "I can't believe you knocked Chelsea over!" Cat happily exclaims.

        I hadn't even realized that it was my worst enemy that I pushed down, I was too excited.

    "I hadn't even noticed it was her! I just don't understand why she would even think about volunteering! She's such a weakling!"

        "I know!" agrees Peri, "She was the weakest person in the Career Training Center!"

        "Probably because she was full of herself," says Hestia, "she thought she was good, but she totally wasn't!"

        "Good luck Aqua," adds Scarlett, "I hope you kill everyone! We'll be cheering for you back home!"

        They all say goodbye and left. The next person in is Chelsea, ironically. She has a cut on her face from the pavement.

        "I totally hate you Aqua!" she screams at me, "Do you see what you did to me! And also, I have such a better chance at winning than you, and you know it!"

        "You just keep on telling yourself that Chelsea," I retort.

        "Ugh!" she grunts and leaves slamming the door behind her.

This is officially the best day of my life.

The 80th Hunger Games: A Time for RevengeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara