Chapter 12

I reached home, threw my bag in a corner and went straight to bed. I couldn't sleep the entire night, I was wandering from my bed to the sofa to the window pane and back to my bed, sleepless. It was 4 am and I just couldn't take it anymore I finally sat up.
"This is not some big deal." I said to myself. "You didn't kiss him, just forget it, there is nothing to panic, just get over it. But how will face Jake? What will he think?"
This anxiety thing, I swear is really bad. "I'm sure he will understand. I will speak to him. I'll tell him that whatever happened was nothing. Yes. I will clear it out."
I picked up my phone to check the time when I noticed I had 3 messages from Steve.
Fuck! I completely forgot about him.
I opened the messages.
Steve: Hey, you there?
            Aren't you back from the         hotel yet?
            Ok, coming to the point. I was wondering if you were free this weekend?
Wait, what? Is he asking me out?
Ritika: Hey, I'm sorry I was quite busy this evening so I didnt check my phone.
             This weekend?
             Yeah, probably.
I couldn't believe this. All this was going so fast and so smooth.
After this I kept my phone aside and tried to get some sleep. But I could only sleep for an hour or so.
In the morning when I reached for the hotel, the first person I saw was Jake. He gave me an awkward smile. I could see the embarrassment on his face, after all he went through the same situation. I decided to act normal and tell him about Steve. But as soon as I went to him, he didn't even let me utter a word.
"Ritz, whatever happened last night, I'm extremely sorry for that. But believe me it was nothing, I did not have any such intentions."
"Jake, its alright. I'm now really cool about it. Let's not discuss that, there is something more important I need to tell you."
"What?"
"Steve asked me out."
"Are you serious? Gosh! That's an amazing news Ritz."
He was about to hug me but stopped, I'm sure it was because he didn't want the last night's incident to be repeated. But I was sure, it won't. I chuckled and hugged him. But this time again this was getting strange. I was again getting that same feeling. So before I was to lose it all once again I moved away from him.
We got engaged in our work. I didn't get time to speak to Jake. When the day was over we were moving out of the hotel.
"Guys." Sophie called from behind. Alex and Anne followed her.
"Let's go out this weekend." She continued.
I looked at Jake. Sophie, Alex and Anne had not idea about what was going on between Steve and me. I could have not told them about the date and all.
"No, I have other plans. Some important work to be done." Jake said.
"Y-yeah. Even I am quite busy, shopping and all. I'm sorry."
"Ok." Sophie said. I shrugged.
Jake and I turned to leave.
"Ritz, any idea when is Jess commin' back?" Anne asked.
"Umm...I haven't spoken to her in a while." I said.
And we left.
"Thank you for lying." I said to Jake.
"Anytime buddy." He grinned.
"By the way, Ritz." He continued. "I was wondering that isn't this going too fast and way too smooth?"
"Honestly, even I think so." I said.
I knew Jake was right. His concern was justified. It was something dufficult to digest, because in the world that Steve belonged things were complicated and fake at the same time. And as it is said of its easy it may be wrong, and I think this is probably what was coming up for me.