Morning Sun

[Authors Note: At this point, Emmett and Rosalie are 15, Edward, Bella and Future Jasper are14, Alice does not make an appearance in this story for the next couple of chapters, but I promise, she's coming ; ) Any way, bear with me, this is my first fanfic, enjoy!]

________________________________________________________________________

Carlisle's Point of View

"Carlisle, honey, its Esme. Social Services called and asked if we would be interested or willing to take in a boy who's father was killed a little over a year ago. They've sent me his file and he seems real sweet, but I didn't give them an answer until we'd discussed it with the boys. Anyway, I'll see you when you get home, I love you, Bye," The message ended and I smiled, so very Esme with her big heart and ability to love even the most difficult children.

We had taken in a rather troubled boy six months ago, a week after he destroyed our bay window in the living room, he was removed from our custody and placed kindly in a military academy outside Washington D.C., located on the opposite side of the country. After that incident and several long talks with our two sons, Emmett and Edward, we had decided that our days of fostering children were finally behind us. My wife had no doubt already fallen in love with the boy she had spoken of and would, under any circumstance, fight to have him, which was going to cause problem with our two stubborn sons.

I signed out of work earlier than usual, waving goodbye to the young nurse who worked the front desk five days a week, her name was Jackie, a sweet, young woman still working off medical school in our tiny little hospital. Esme often invited her to have dinner with us, bringing her husband, who was like another brother to our sons. Esme treated her like a daughter, sending her gifts on her birthday and giving her advice when she needed it the most.

It was raining outside, something our small town of Forks, Washington was inexplicably known for. Climbing into my car, a Mercedes-Benz my son, Edward, had chosen for me, I couldn't help but wonder what had made Esme fall so hard for this boy, she hadn't sounded so excited over the phone for a child since she had discovered she was pregnant with Edward, the younger of our two boys, a little over fourteen years prior. Since then, due to complications with said pregnancy, she had been unable to conceive another child.

But with a heart as big as hers, two boys just weren't enough, though she loved them both more than any other mother out there. That was how we had gotten involved with the whole foster child business. Six children later, everyone for ages six to seventeen, boys and girls, we still hadn't found one that fit in with the family enough for us to be willing to adopt him or her. After the incident with Brad, we had been turning down children left and right; despite to pain it caused us both.

My drive home was quick; no longer than a ten minute commute from the small town hospital where I worked as a doctor to our hidden house, way back in the woods. It was a large, white house, made up of mostly windows overlooking the woods and the lawn, our property stretching far beyond the river. Esme had inherited money from her parent when they had passed away, and paired with the money I had, we were very well off. We couldn't have created a better life for our boys to live and grow up in.

Emmett and Edward were playing in the front yard, tossing a baseball back and forth; each one had a single headphone bud in, the other hanging down uselessly, they were shouting back and forth about music and school. They stopped when I pulled up and strode over, the baseball in Emmett's crushing hand.

Our boys couldn't have been anymore different, Emmett was big and burly, his hair dark as well as curly with eyes the color of coffee, as Esme described them. Edward looked more like Esme, with his bronze hair and deep green eyes. They, however, had matching smiles, ones that mirrored my own, according to their mother.

"Evening boys," I called to my sons. They smiled wirily, like they were unsure of what was going on.

"Hi Dad," Edward spoke first, running his long pianist fingers through his unruly hair. Giving me one a sort of lopsided grin he was a professional at performing.

"Where's your mother?" The boys pointed to the house and I nodded my thanks, strolling off towards the house, their eyes boring into my back.

Esme was in her favorite place in our entire house, the kitchen, the delicious smells of our upcoming dinner dashed out of the room. She turned just as I walked in, a smile spread across her face; she glowed like the sun, and held open her arms. I walked into them without a second thought, enjoying the warm feeling the embrace brought to my skin. She kissed my lips, gently and fleetingly. Esme sat down at the kitchen table and I joined her, staring across the table at my wife.

"So, this boy," she held up her hand to stop me, silencing my words.

"I don't know what it is about him, he just seems so, so perfect. I think he needs us, Carlisle, not someone else, US," Tears had sprung into her eyes, I had never seen her so passionate about something. I reached across and took her hand in mine, my eyes meeting her own.

"Alright, We'll give the boy a chance," Her face lit up again and she handed me the boys file and I read his name:

Jasper Andrew Whitlock.

Ah, so that was it.