Mother's Just Know ~ Chapter 5

Kendall's POV (this is still in the flashback, in case you were wondering)

I stood, pacing around the living room of 2J. Logan was seated on the orange couch, his eyes following every movement I made.

He sighed as I glanced over at him for the hundredth time in about 10 minutes. He patted the seat beside him, pleading with his eyes. "Kendall, baby. Why don't you sit down and try to relax? Everything's going to be okay, I promise."

His encouragement did nothing to calm my nerves, but I took the spot beside him anyway. "How do you know that?" I asked placing my head in my hands. I felt his hand on my back, trying to comfort me by rubbing soothing circles there. It helped. A little. "Nobody else has reacted in a positive way. Why do you think my mom will be any different?" I mumbled into my palms.

"Ok, first of all, your forgetting that Kelly was supportive." I tried to cut him off, but he held up his hand, telling me to let him finish. "Secondly, your mom isn't going to find out like everyone else did. We are telling her ourselves. She'll respect us for that." He smiled at me with his 1,000-watt smile that I love so much, and I couldn'thelp but smile back.

I took a deep breath, to calm my nerves just a little bit more. "Ok, so how are we gonna tell her? I mean I can't just come out and say 'Hey Mom, guess what? I'm gay and I'm dating Logan'."

Logan placed his hand on my knee, to stop it from bouncing, which I wasn't even aware I was doing. "Well, we are just gonna have to break it to her gently."

Just then, Mom walked by with the laundry basket in her hands. She smiled sweetly at us. "Break what to me, boys?"

Logan looked at me, waiting for me to say...anything. "Uh..." It's now or never, Kendall. "..that...uh...pineapples...are a fruit." So, I chicken out?You big coward.

Mom just looks at me like I need to visit a psychiatrist. "Ok, honey...that's good to know." She turned and walked away, taking the clean laundry to our rooms.

I smacked my hand against my forehead and turn to look at my boyfriend. He's looking back at me like he's trying to figure out why I didn't tell her just then. "What?" Logan just rolled his and stared at the blank T.V. screen. "So, I'm a little nervous to tell her."

"Gee, ya think?" he said turning to look back at me. He sat thoughtful for a moment. "Why don't you start by telling her that you have a date on Friday night? And then, when she asks who it is, you can tell her that it's me." He shrugged his shoulders in a 'no big deal' kind of way.

"Look, I know you think that it's not a big deal, but it is." I huffed, leaning back against the couch.

Logan began running his fingers softly through my blond hair. "It's really not."

I stood up and started pacing again. "Easy for you to say. It's not like it's your mom we're telling. I'm about to come out to my mother. She's gonna be like 'I didn't raise you to be this way, Kendall Francis Knight'," I said, doing a bad impression of the lady in question.

Logan stood and made his way over to where I had stopped in the middle of the living room. He placed a loving hand on my shoulder. "Look, it's gonna be fine. I'm tired of having to hide our relationship in our own home. And I'll be right by your side the entire time."

I took a shaky breath before nodding my head. "Ok, I'm ready."

He patted my shoulder before dropping back down to sit on the couch again. "Hey, Mama Knight. Can you come in here for a sec?" I began to breathe irregularly again. "Breathe, Kendall. Remember, I'm right here."

I nodded my head, watching my mom walk into the room. "What did you boys need?"

She's your mother, Kendall. She'll understand. "I just wanted to let you know ahead of time that I have a date this Friday night."

"That's great honey." Mom said, smiling like mothers do when they realize their kids are growing up. "What are you going to be doing?"

Not the question I thought she was gonna ask, but ok. "Um...probably dinner and a movie."

"Alright, just make sure you two are home by midnight, no later." She emphasized her point by jabbing a finger towards both of us. Hold up. What did she say?

"Wait, wait, wait. What did you just say?" I asked, totally confused.

"Make sure you're home by midnight?" she asked, equally as confused.

"No, no, I mean about us two being home by midnight." I looked at Logan, who just shrugged his shoulders.

Mom pointed at Logan before looking back at me. "You are taking Logan out, right?"

"Yeah." I stood there for a moment longer, baffled. "How did you even know that?"

She just rolled her eyes at me, as if saying 'are you serious?'. "I'm your mother, Sweetie. You can't hide things like this from me." She dropped her voice down an octave, to make herself sound creepier, I guess, "I know all."

I was still quite shocked with this whole situation. "Wait, so you're ok with me..being gay? With us..being gay?"

"Honey, I've been fine with it for three months," She said arching her eyebrows.

Just when I thought she couldn't surprise me more. "Three months?"

Logan finally decided to put his two-cents into the conversation. "You've known the whole time?"

"Well, you weren't exactly subtle about it." I gaped at her. "Please, the lingering touches, the slightly longer stares. I mean, come on. I found you asleep, cuddled up on the couch one night after I came from work. That's when I really figured it out."

"And you're ok with it?" I still couldn't believe it.

"I already said I was." She walked over to me, and placed both her hands on my shoulders. "You're my son. I just want you to be happy. Even if it that means you'd rather date boys than girls. And Logan is just as much as son to me as you are. Even more so now that you're together. His happiness is just as important too."

I just stared at her, shocked she was ok with this. I thought she would have reacted worse than Carlos and James.

"What? Were you worried I would be mad?" She chuckled while she asked. I just nodded. "Well, I was shocked to find it was you and Logan who turned out to be gay. I would have thought James would be the one to come out of the closet."

From out of James and Carlos' bedroom, I heard James yell, "Why does everyone think that?"

Mom rolled her eyes and yelled back, "Look at the way you dress, honey!" She looked back at me and Logan, while James could be heard mumbling loudly in the other room. "You boys have fun on Friday night. I've got to finish the laundry." She turned to leave but then stopped again. "Remember what I said. No later than midnight."

I smiled to myself as I watched her retreating back. Logan stood and patted me on the back. "Well, that was easier than I thought it would be."

"It's funny. She knew the entire time we were trying to keep it to ourselves." I chuckled to myself. "We never had anything to worry about."

"Guess not. You were all nervous over nothing." Logan pulled me towards him, wrapping his arms around my waist. "Now about that date on Friday. Do I get to pick the movie?"

I leaned in and pressed a gentle kiss to his lips. "Of course you can. Anything for you."