Chapter 21

“Alexa, you’re soaking wet! What the hell were you doing?” Scarlett exclaims when I get back.

“Nothing,” I simply reply, as my cheeks turn pink when I remember what actually happened tonight.

“Fine, don’t tell me,” She says sitting back down on her bed. I change out of my wet clothes and put on dry ones. I didn’t go in the water with my clothes on, they got wet from the water splashing when we jumped in. It’s my fault for being stupid and setting my clothes down near the edge of the dock.

I turn the light off on my way back to my bed and climb in. As I’m about to put my ear buds in Scarlett starts speaking.

“I talked to Niall while you were gone,” She tells me as we lay in our dark cabin. I stay silent and don’t respond to her. I’m tired of hearing about her love life with Niall, but at the same time I want to know.

“Are you still mad?” she asks when I continue to stay silent.

“Not as much as before, but yes,” I reply finally giving in to talking to her.

“I took your advice and I talked to him to settle things. I thought about it and you were right,” she says. She knows she can’t tell me something vague like that without me asking for her to tell me the details.

“So what happened? How did it go?” I ask rolling onto my side to face her.

“He doesn’t want to be anything more than acquaintances right now. He also told me off, but I guess I kind of deserved it. At least it’s not as tense and awkward anymore,” she explains and I agree with her.

“I’m also sorry about earlier,” she adds, “I know I’ve been a pain in the ass lately.”

“It’s okay…”

“It’s not,” Scarlett says as she sits up and leans against her elbow, “You always say it’s okay but it’s not.”

“I know,” I reply. When people apologize to me I tell them that it’s okay even when I know it’s clearly not. I’m not the type of person to just tell someone off like Scarlett is. I don’t know why I do that. Maybe it’s because I’m too nice to tell people off.

The next day at breakfast Harry sits beside me with a stupid grin on his face.

“You seem very happy today, Harry,” Ava teases as we eat our breakfast.

“That’s because I am happy, Ava,” Harry says happily, his dimple clearly displayed when he smiles.

“What’s the special occasion for this sudden happiness?” Madalyn asks.

“Can’t a man be happy for no reason?” Harry exclaims, his smile never leaving his face.

“No,” Ava laughs.

Scarlett interrupts their bantering when she arrives at the breakfast table looking half asleep. She takes a seat beside Madalyn and her tired expression turns into a confused one when she sees Harry sitting with us.

“Since when do you sit here?” she asks Harry.

“Don’t you guys know that you’re never supposed to question the man?” Harry questions.

“You’re not the man, you’re a man,” I point out and everyone but Harry laughs.

“I’m going to ignore you said that just now,” Harry says as his smile returns to his face.

“You can ignore it all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that you still heard it,” I retort.

“Are you trying to ruin my good mood? I’ll never sit with you again,” He warns without a hint of seriousness in his voice.

“Thank god,” Scarlett laughs.

“You guys are a bunch of bullies,” Harry utters and stands up dramatically. I put my hand on his to stop him and he sits back down.

“We’re just joking, Harold,” Madalyn teases.

“Don’t call me Harold, Maddie,” Harry teases back.

“No one has called me Maddie since grade three,” she laughs. We all joke back and forth like this for the remainder of breakfast. When breakfast finishes I get up to leave with Scarlett. Before I can reach the door Harry walks beside me and leans in to whisper, “Meet me at the dock tonight at midnight.”

I’m thankful when Scarlett falls asleep at 11:30. It gives me enough time to get ready before I meet Harry at the dock. I have no idea what he has planned so I don’t know what to wear. What if he wants to jump in the lake again? I’ll have to wear my bathing suit and bring a towel. What if he just wants to walk around and talk? I’ll have to wear a sweater and pants so mosquitos don’t bite me. I wish he would’ve told me more but at the same time I love that it’s a surprise. After contemplating between wearing a bathing suit and dressing warm I decide on just wearing a long sleeve t-shirt and jeans.

At midnight I leave my cabin. I know he said to be there at midnight, but he can wait a couple extra minutes. It won’t kill him to wait.

I walk towards the dock with butterflies in my stomach the entire way. I’m so nervous and excited. Sneaking out is always thrilling. It doesn’t necessarily count as sneaking out, but it’s still just as thrilling because there’s still a chance we might get caught. The fact that I’m sneaking out to see Harry doesn’t calm my stomach either.

When I get near the dock I see a small light. As I get closer to that light I see Harry sitting on a blanket with a candle in the middle and food beside him.

“Hungry? I hope you don’t mind a picnic this late,” He says as I sit across from him.

“I don’t mind at all. This is really nice,” I say. This whole thing is adorable. Harry had planned this picnic out just for me.

(I'm going through and editing each chapter / re-writing some parts so if you want to re-read it you can, I didn't make any major changes. I just tried to make it less cringe lool)