↣ Chapter Eighteen ↣

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

A N G E L I C 

F A C E S 

↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣ ↣↣↣

The Losses and Magnus were in the guest room, where Caroline was still stuck in bed healing, when there was a knock at the door. Since Magnus and Catarina were having a very lengthy discussion about the hospital in New York - the Losses were thinking of staying in New York, since Caroline had always wanted to visit the city and Chris had grown quite close to Magnus - Caroline ushered her brother away to get the door.

He sighed, not wanting to leave her bedside, but moved anyway, fixing his sweater so he didn't look quite as disgruntled as he felt. He had slept in the chair beside her until Catarina had forced him to move. Chris had missed someone fussing over him like his mother did, and though he did want to move back to Oxford, he didn't think living in New York was that bad. They did need a change after all.

Chris' face fell when he saw the Shadowhunter standing at his door. He wore a black shirt, dark jeans, his face brooding and his eyes downcast. Chris hadn't seen this Alec in days. But god he had missed him. He had missed his fluffy hair and the deflect rune on his neck and the way he carried himself. His eyes travelled down to where the other Alec had worn a necklace with his initial in it. This Alec did not - obviously, but Chris wasn't sure why that bothered him.

"Oh."

"Hey."

Alec's voice was soft, as if he was afraid that him speaking would hurt Chris. He knew that Chris was hurting. He didn't want to inflict more pain on him. But god, just him standing there was enough to make Chris' heart hurt.

"Tired of bickering over your guest list for the wedding?" Chris asked sharply, leading the way into the apartment. He had left the door to the guest bedroom open so that when Magnus looked he understood what was happening. Out of the corner of his eye, Chris saw Catarina and Magnus watching them behind the door. He usually would have laughed, but hid mood had dropped. He only felt sour.

"I need to ask you something."

"Yes, no, a cat, 1.77245385091."

"Yeah, the square root of pi isn't really the answer I was looking for." Chris felt an amused smile tug his lips upwards, but he fought it off. He was meant to be angry at Alec. And he was. He was upset, heartbroken. And no, Alec didn't owe him anything, but he didn't like the way he toyed with his feelings only to get married to a girl.

"Will this take long?" Chris asked, crossing his arms over his chest as he stopped by the drinks cabinet. Magnus and Catarina were rolling their eyes at him. "I'm a particularly busy warlock, and I don't really want to talk to you."