Chapter V: The Stranger

Atreus and I went back to the ledge where we killed the deer. "The path home is this way. Duh." He said with a sassy voice. I boosted him up the ledge and he immediately brought out his bow after seeing draugr standing there growling at itself. I throw my axe at it while Atreus started shooting arrows in quick succession. My axe froze the draugr so I punched it leading it to shatter into pieces.

More draugr came out of the ground and I grabbed one of them by the ribcage and cracked it open, revealing molten rock inside. I recall my axe, slicing through some draugr on the way back. Atreus shoots the last draugr straight to the head which was behind and I didn't notice it was about to stab me.

Atreus continues on the path back to our home while I sidetracked and examined a hidden chamber which was magically sealed. It had a diamond-shaped, marble lock design on the front.

Maybe we can get something to open these later on.

We met some more draugr and destroyed them in the end. Suddenly, a frost-like creature came out of the ground, "What is that thing?!" Atreus yelled in confusion. I hit it with my axe but noticed it was resistant to it, so I decided to use my fists. Punching it left and right, it got stunned. I took it by the legs and stomped on it's head, leaving an icy mess behind this time.

A Reaver.

~~~?????????~~~

What is this thing? It looked like a Reaver, but its voice sounded so strange... Even Father doesn't know.

~~~

"Told you something was different about the forest." Atreus said.

"And I told you not to speak." I replied.

We got to a broken lift on the side of a cliff, fire everywhere. I threw my axe at the rope and a part of the lift came down. I jumped down and caught Atreus falling and move on. "But why would a Fire Troll burn mother's garden? And since when are Draugr so close to the house? And what was that frozen thing that attacked us?" Atreus says angrily.

"I do not know. Now be silent, we are almost home." I sternly replied.

We got home and I glanced at her ashes before opening the door letting Atreus inside, "Inside, boy."

I got a small sack and went back to her. I gathered her ashes reminiscing about the times we were together. I breathed deeply and placed her ashes in the sack as they were still burning slowly. I tied a knot on to it and grasped it firmly, I almost shed a tear. I got up and went back inside the house hooking the sack to my belt.

There, I saw Atreus sitting there, mumbling to himself, "It's not fair. He doesn't know anything..." I knelt down before him, "You lost control." "That thing was trying to kill us. It's not like you don't get angry in a fight." He replied. I immediately respond, "Anger can be a weapon if you control it— use it. You clearly cannot. When you lose—" I got cut off by Atreus's reasoning, "I haven't been sick in a long time. I'm better now."

"Fine." I reply raising my palms in a fighting stance, "Come on then."

"You want me to hit you?" He questions while turning his head to the side.

"I want you to try." I reply.

He sighs and raises a fist, attempting to punch my palm. I quickly shove it out of the way, "OWWW! What are you—"

"Try again."

He goes for the other palm but I shove it again, "Why are you doing that?" He asks, clearly provoked.

"Too slow. Try again."

He tries to punch my palm but I retaliate once again, "Cut it out!"

"Weak. Again."

He goes for the other one but I slap it out of the way once more.

"Again."

He gets angry and keeps on punching me, "STOP IT!"

"AGAIN."

He shouts and punches me with all his might but I dodge it and he trips and falls to the floor. He coughs while I pick him back up, "Your anger... you can get lost in it.The path ahead is difficult—" He tries to break free but I pull him back, "and you, Atreus, are clearly not ready."

He pulls his arm from my hand. We hear a loud roar outside, "What was that?" "QUIET." Someone bangs on the door, "Come on out! It's no use hiding anymore, I know who you are..." He yells from outside. "What's going on? Do you know him?" Atreus whispers. "more importantly, I know what you are!" The stranger shouts again.

"Boy. Beneath the floor. Now.." I command him.

"But... you told me never to go down there. Who is that?"

"I do not know."

"What's he talking about." He questions once more.

"I do not know. Get IN." He jumps in while I lock the hatch and put the carpet over it.

"Just tell me what I want to know! No need for this to get bloody." The stranger yells.

I open the door and saw a bearded man with tattoos, shirtless. "Huh... I thought you'd be bigger, but you're definitely the one." He says while looking inside, "Long way from home aren't you?".

"What do you want?" I ask.

"Oh, you already know the answer to that."

To be continued.