Chapter 5 -- The Maestro

My eyes went wide as saucers while I found the strength to stand back up.

I can't leave?! Hell no! I don't wanna be his guest!

I gathered up a small bit of courage to speak a piece of my mind. "And just who are you anyway? Why do you live in an abandoned mansion? And why the hell is there freaky shit happening everywhere?!" I finished, slightly out of breath.

I immediately regretted what I'd said as soon as I saw his face turn to a scowl. "You ask too many questions!" He retorted, obviously annoyed. But he then looked off to the side and answered one of them. "You can call me the Maestro," he said dryly.

I gave him an odd look. "But...but don't you have a name?"

"That is my name!" He snapped. And who, may I ask, are you?" He came closer to me, peering at me with those soul-burning eyes.

I sighed, "My name is Irene." Then I added with a hint of internal sarcasm, "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance." Hey, if I wanted this guy to let me out, I might as well begin kissing up.

The Maestro tilted his head to the side for a moment. "What a lovely name," he stated with an emotionless cordiality. "The pleasure is all mine. Now come with me. Since you're going to be staying for dinner, you might as well get acquainted with the kitchen and dining room."

I was seriously beginning to wonder if he was the crazy one. He wanted me to stay for dinner?? How could he even eat in this place? It looked like it would receive an F sanitation rating. Actually, if anyone else saw the deplorable condition of this mansion, the mayor would have it torn down as soon as possible.

What kind of freak would actually live here?! Oh right, it's the freak that's holding me hostage in his abandoned palace and wanting me to stay for dinner!

By now, the Maestro had already swiftly moved across the living room into to another hall. I followed behind him, because even though I wanted to bolt out the nearest door, I also didn't want to anger "the Maestro" any further. Weird shit had already happened to me. I didn't want to think about what else could possibly happen if I didn't comply with him.

Walking along the hall, I noticed that many of the interior walls sported deep cavities which let me see through to the wooden studs. On some of the walls, old pictures were barely hanging to the nails that held them in place; but I couldn't see the images clearly because the glass had fogged up with dust and cobwebs. Not to mention the fact that there weren't any lights on anywhere in here, and it was dark as hell. Thankfully my eyes had begun to adjust to the nonexistent lighting.

"Here is the dining room," he said plainly, pointing with one long finger towards a room which held an old, long table. It was covered with random cardboard boxes filled with junk, and papers that were scattered over everything. The cardboard boxes were even degrading. Above the table there hung a large chandelier. How that was still hanging on to the ceiling, I had no idea, because some parts of the ceiling had holes in them from where the aging structure couldn't support itself.

But the Maestro didn't seem to pay notice to any of those things. He resumed walking as soon as I'd gotten a good look at the dining room. I followed a good distance behind him until we reached another room.

This mansion is so huge, I could probably get lost in here.

He quickly waved his hand to the kitchen. "And this is the kitchen. I'm sure you'll enjoy dinner. I'll have my chef prepare the meal. You may wait at the dining table. I shall return shortly." He side-eyed me before walking down another hall, soon disappearing from my sight.