Chapter 1

Don't forget to vote and comment!

(If you don't, you'll step on a lego)

Follow me to become a member of #TEAMBLOSSOMS!

A P R I L

I sit behind the receptionist desk, tapping my nails across the smooth surface and wondering how on Earth I had gotten myself into this position.

When my teacher said "Extra Credit Assignment," she didn't mention anything about the long hours, hot weather or boring paperwork I have to trudge through every day.

Why couldn't I have gotten a summer's job at the animal shelter or something to boost up my Calculus grade? At least they have air conditioning.

I fold my arms in front of my chest and lean backwards, propping my feet up on the bench and letting out a loud sigh. There's only a few more minutes left before I get to finally go home, bust out a popsicle and actually enjoy myself since school ended.

This entire vacation has turned out more or less of a flop. The only times I ever get to see Mason or Charity, forever partners in sleep-over crime, are when we actually get to the "sleeping" part. Major drag.

But this time, Fridays right before the weekends, the urgent care center gets to close up early and I can usually get home for a good round of Movie Marathon with my friends.

I pause in tapping away at some patient's profile to check the time, 9:37, and silently will for the manager to walk right past the bend and tell me it's okay to pack up and go.

A few minutes pass and I decide to dismiss myself. This would be the first time I get to go home before 10:00, and I'm so not passing up on the opportunity.

With a deft click on the computer, I shut off the files and save them on a hard drive before picking up my coat and flinging it on.

I start to head for the door, about to let myself out, when there's a loud bang to my left.

I stop in my tracks and close my eyes. That must be Raphael, coming to chew me out for leaving early. I slowly turn around and am surprised to see that it's not Raphael.

It's somebody banging on the door, asking to be let in. The figure is hunched over the archway, pounding with his fists.

I freeze, completely terrified. I never come into direct contact with the patients around here-that's Raphael's job. I sit in the back and punch in their files and code lines of information.

I crack down at the sight of blood, and what if this patient is from one of the local gangs? What if someone bashed his head in or something?

I'm totally going to pass out...

I suck in a big breath. This guy, whoever he is, needs my help and I'm going to help him. What else am I going to do, just walk away and pretend I didn't see anything?

I force my feet to move forward and quickly open the door, undoing the screws and letting him in.

He crumples on the floor immediately and crawls forward to pull himself up into one of the chairs. I hold his shoulder and support him so he can straighten up, simultaneously reaching for a pad with a form on it.

"So..."

I uncomfortably shift around. I'm not good at this.

"Split lip, nosebleed and a possibly fractured elbow."