"Oh, Anya, you're so naive," Eirn shrugged and continued consuming his snacks. "Yes, our generation didn't start the war. Yes, the children are supposed to amend their parents' mistakes and so on and so forth... But here's a thing." His face darkened as he caught Anya's gaze. "It's more than that. It's personal. You see, Leir's father killed our friend Ther. We can never forgive that."

Anya swallowed hard as Eirney said it with growing hatred deep in his throat. After his words she somehow easily believed she could be next. "What should I do to make Leir leave me alone?"

"You have two options. We either convince the fomoires that you're worthless to us and you know nothing, or that you're truly one of us and they have no chances to get to you." Eirn face was carefree once again, amused even. "The first option requires us to kill you, or play your murder out at least."

The yogurt Anya had been so scrupulously choosing a couple minutes ago fell out from her hands. She watched its strawberry intestines slowly spill across the floor, and then raised her eyes back at Eirney. "And the second option?"

"The second one requires you to learn this." Eirn stretched out his hand, snapped his fingers lightly, and a paper bag in front of them suddenly set on fire.

Anya reeled back in fear, but before she could manage a mere step, the orange flames disappeared with a loud flap, and the burnt paper edges were the only proof left that the fire hadn't been a hallucination of Anya's sick mind.

The boy at the cash register glanced at them in concern, but seemed not to notice anything unusual.

"Well, I should admit, Nikk is more skillful in these fire tricks," Eirn scratched his forehead, looking at the papers.

"Yet, Nikk doesn't try to fry the whole place," Nikk's voice came right from behind. "Rill called. We need to go."

Eirney just snorted at the comment, then took another bag of chips and walked off toward the cashier.

When the three of them got back in the car, Daphne was staring at the sky meditatively, wrapping in a warm sweater she hadn't had before. At first, Anya wanted to ask where the daitian had got it, but then decided it'd be safer not to ask any question.

"Do you have a place to crash?" Daphne cocked her head at Anya expectantly.

"I could stay with friends," Anya shrugged with one shoulder. "But I'm probably too far from them all now."

Nikk shook his head. "No, your friends and relatives are too obvious choice."

"How about our headquarters?" Eirn suggested, driving again.

"Don't even consider it," Daphne retorted. "Nobody will let you come to Kelas with a human."

Anya couldn't believe what she'd just heard. "You have a headquarters?"

"Sure, we're not the only team on Earth," Eirney proudly nodded. "There are others, working all over the world."

"But we're the only ones who run into the fomoires again and again," Nikk chortled grimly.

The road curved, and a girl came into sight. Wearing a light dress that didn't match the cool weather, she was walking back and forth along the road and impatiently looking at her watch. Her green as meadow grass hair was streaming in the wind, making her look like a mysterious part of the forest landscape.

"Finally!" the girl clasped her hands, when the car stopped next to her. "I thought you'd rolled without me."

"This is Amarillis," Nikk introduced the green-haired daitian as she settled on the backseat next to Anya.