We Told You It Had a Prize!!

Presenting the winning (and only, ssshhh) entry to last month's 'This One's Got A Prize' contest...

Tagging Bridges and Nitrofreezing Lawns

by lakeycreek

"I think we should run away," Lo said, kicking her feet sullenly. Our feet dangled over creek water, though the bed was almost dry. It hadn't rained in nearly a month. It was the hottest topic since the last glass storm.

"Where would we go?" I asked, though the question was directed at myself and the stars above as much as it was at Lo. I fiddled with the paint can in my hands, amusing myself by sending little droplets of red paint into the brown water.

"Anywhere," she said. There was such conviction in her voice that it made me shiver. Or, maybe it was just the night wind.

"Why?" I couldn't help but ask.

Why? Why any of it? Why was I wasting away in this podunk, backwater planet, waiting for something exciting to happen. Tagging bridges and nitrofreezing patterns on front lawns was only so exciting.

"Would it be any different on a city planet?" I wondered aloud.

"Of course!" Lo exclaimed, almost scandalized. That was a laugh. Lo was notorious for breaking etiquette.

"There're drag races, chrono tournaments, art museums," Lo said, her voice growing excited as she lost herself in her fantasy. "And the people! So many people!"

I loved the look on her face. She glowed with excitement. I could see it in the turn of her lips, hear it in the lightness of her voice. It almost tingled in the air around us. I loved it when she was happy.

I didn't love her words.

I didn't like fast cars, especially when they were flying five miles above ground. I hated time jumping. Art was fine, but I wasn't going to move planets just to see something I could easily access on my holocomputer.

There was something special about my little nutrifarm planet. The weather could be a real pain, but the people were nice. I had plenty of friends. I loved my family. Sure, it could be boring. I would freely admit that. Still, I could stand a little boredom. It meant I had so much open space, I could pretend to be the only person in the universe.

"I kinda like home," I admitted softly.

"How could you say that?" she asked me. Lo reach over and slugged me lightly on the arm.

I shrugged, not exactly sure, except, "I've kinda got everything I need. My grandpapa's nutrifarm, a good herding dog. I've got a Christian mental guide I trust. And..."

I trailed off, looking over at Lo. Her face was twisted up in a frown. Even disappointed in me, she was still so beautiful. I continued softly, "And you, Lo. You're here. I might leave if you asked. Would you be willing to stay if I did?"

The raw emotion on her face was the only answer I needed.