'Mentors'

Pretending to take no notice of the District 4 tributes, a strong looking man introduces himself as the trainer.

"Now, can I please ask you to stand in a horizontal line facing me in the order of your districts. So starting at District 1 and through to District 12. I'll have the boys stand to the right and the girls to the left."

Everyone shuffled to their place, only talking to see where they belong in the line. I end up standing next to the girl from District 5. She's taller than me and has very long auburn coloured hair that's left out. I wonder how it wouldn't get in the way while training. I suddenly realise that I'm staring at her and quickly take my gaze in the opposite direction. The direction of the poorer districts. Nearly every one of them looks quite underfed. Except the ones from District 10, they both look quite strong and healthy. I'm on the better end of District 6. I get breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday. I don't get much, but that's all I need. At school I see other kids just like all the underfed tributes here. I've taken pity on them and offer the desperate looking ones my lunch, but only on the rare occasion they'll take it.

The trainer walks along the line and pins our district number on each of us. Then he steps back and says...

"Please welcome these District members who have survived the rebellion and have been hand picked to act as mentors towards each and everyone of you for the games."

As he says this, 24 people walk into the room in the same line arrangement as us tributes. They look to be in their 20's or 30's. And none of them look very happy at all.

"But next year", the trainer continues, "one of you tributes", he scans us all as if trying to figure out who it will be, "will replace both of your Districts' mentors and become a mentor yourself. But as for ever other district... the mentors will remain the same until there is a winner from that district."

It takes me a while for all that to sink in, but I get it. I also find it weird. How is someone supposed to mentor us if we haven't even been in the games? They might have survived the rebellion, but this is a little bit different.

"Well we can't waste anymore time discussing when you all have three days of training to do!" The trainer continues yet again. "Now it is time to meet your own personal mentor and get started!"

The 'mentors' as the trainer liked to call them walked over to each of us and introduced themselves. Mine introduced himself as Blake Williams. And when I say he is tall I mean it! He absolutely towers over me! I have to jam my neck upwards to look at him.

"Is there anything you know your good at?" He asks me.

"Is nothing got to do with surviving against 23 other tributes an ok answer", I reply.

"I'm sure you'll find something", he tells me. "How about you give all the weapons a go today? One of them could be just right for you".

"I highly doubt it", I reply. I can not whatsoever imagine myself being able to use any weapons.

"Well I'm gonna have to leave you in sec, we aren't allowed to stay down here, but I'll see you tonight on your floor." He states. "But good luck", he adds on a second thought. He then walks to the elevator with many of the other 'mentors'.

I turn to face Scarlette and she comically raises her eyebrows at me. I do have to smile. She can make every situation funny. I'm so thankful that I meet her. At first we wouldn't even talk, but then we became friendly so quickly.

We decide to stick together throughout all the training, which was a very good decision! Her 'mentor' apparently told her to spend the whole day on first aid and edible plants and berries. Since we were both asked to do completely different things, we decide to try out camouflage.

The instructor at the camouflage station doesn't say much, so Scarlette tells me she's going to camouflage my face. I don't see why not, so I obey. It takes her about 15 minutes, gathering different kinds of browns and mixing them on my face. I begin to grow suspicious of what she is painting, as her smile grows wider and more mischievous. I try to edge towards the mirror, but just can't get quite there. Once I finally look in the mirror at my new appearance I let out a huge gasp.

************************

A/N - What did Scarlette paint on Carters face? Also do you like the mentor idea or not?

I hope you enjoyed the chapter and remember to give it a vote!