Gone For Good

I am frozen with shock as the sound of my name rings around the square. I had convinced myself that I would get chosen, but I didn't actually believe it would happen! My whole body begins to tremble and my breathing becomes short and sharp as I walk in a crooked line towards the stage. Each step is one closer to death. I can feel my lunch coming up and swallow deeply to hold it back. That would not be a good start! Especially since the whole of Panem is watching this very moment on live tv. I stare at my shoes for the rest of the reaping and am very glad when it's time to enter the justice building, lead by the escort who seems overly nice to what I expected.

I end up sitting on a very comfy lounge in my own separate room. My grandfather comes in the room, but I can't look directly at him. He sits on the lounge beside me, but neither of us speak. I look at him, my favourite person in the world, and I see a tear trickling down his cheek. He sees me looking and embraces me into a tight hug.

"You're the last one I have", he whispers.

I force myself to stay strong as I reply, "I know, I'm sorry". My voice is very shaky and I'm on the verge of tears. There is no way to express how sorry I really am, I know that it would be stupid to think I'll have a chance. This is a death sentence and there is no avoiding it.

My grandfather is then dragged out by the peacekeepers, that was the last time we will ever see each other. I am left alone, but not for long, as my two close friends visit me. Normally we would talk forever, but we all have nothing to say. As if he had just found his tongue, one of my friends busts into a rage about the whole idea of the hunger games, while the other repeats dozens of times that he thought he was such a bad friend because he didn't volunteer. I try to calm them both down, but the peacekeepers drag them out before I can do to much. Great, so that's the last time I'll see my best friends as well.

I become to lost in my thoughts and everything becomes a blur as I am whisked out to the justice building and transported to the train that will lead me to the Capitol. When I reach the station cameras flash all around me and Scarlette, the female tribute. All I really care about is the train timetables and the different types trains that go on each track. One day I'll be a conductor, reviewing the timetables and making sure the cargo is distributed evenly. Oh wait, if it wasn't for these stupid games I would be anyway.

I take a deep breath as I walk onto the train, expecting a foul smelling dimly lit room, but instead I step into a large fancy room, with a large crystal chandelier hanging from the ceiling. I wonder if this is all really necessary, but I can't complain. Well... I have every right to complain about being thrown into this situation, but I still can't complain about the luxuries of the train. A sudden thought comes to me... this is a Capitol train, of cause it looks like this, I think bitterly. I am glad to get away from the cameras anyway.

I watch through the window as District 6 slides away before me. My home, my grandfather, my friends, everything and everyone I love is taken from me. After the district is out of sight I am directed to a room, which I am told is all my own for the journey. It is also quite fancy and has a bed, a bathroom and a wardrobe full of clothes that seem to be my size. I wonder how they managed to do that, but push the thought past me, it really doesn't matter.

I am told that I can do whatever I want before dinner, so I decide to try and catch up on the sleep I missed out on last night. In a matter of no time the district escort kindly shakes me awake and tells me it's time for dinner. I pick out a random outfit and slowly make my way up to the table where the escort and Scarlette are waiting for me.

************************

A/N - And now he's left the district and is off to the Capitol, things are about to get more exciting!

If you're enjoying the book, please remember to vote!