Chapter 21

The carriage, I thought, is worse than a horse.

We were on the road for less than a week and my body was already begging me for another stop.

Extremely bored, I looked at the familiar view that kept me company these days. The inside of the carriage was rather dim, besides being the middle of the day. The curtains that were always shut and the general blackness of the walls and couches weren't exactly brightening the space.

So with nothing to do, I secretly exercised my powers. I cupped my hands and let the light take the form of a globe. I have been always fascinated of the way it shines so easily through the darkness, standing out, no mather how weak it might be. A lesson I should probably learn.

Careful to keep the light from being noticed, I clenched my fist. With my eyes closed, I extended my arm, letting the power run through me. Several little suns were floating around the space offered by the carriage in a peaceful movement. I increased their heat, but focused to keep the luminesence low. A few drops of sweat started to form on my forehead. Ignoring them, I made the globes hotter and hotter. The temperature was rising fast, but I couldn't care any less, as I focused on something to protect me from the heat. A quiet laugh escaped my lips when I looked down at my body which now was covered in a beautiful glow.

It was as easy as breathing to summon. I had the power of two ancient creatures running through my veins and they were answering only to my call. They belonged to me and to no one else.

The smell of something burning brought me back to reality. I stared at the portion of the wall that was on fire for a few seconds before grabbing the curtain and putting it on the wood with quick movements. After the flame had died out, I leaned back on the couch, sighting relieved and mentally face palming myself for being so careless.

I could have burnt the whole thing down, for Saints' sake!

I was wondering what faces would everyone make if I would have stepped out of a burning carriage, when the door opened, revealing a not so amused Darkling.

I watched as his eyes widened slightly, before he turned his attention towards me, lacking any visible emotion.

"If you wanted to practice your powers, you should have just asked, Alina." He studied the interior again, looking especially at the mark left by the flame on the wood. "Instead of trying to turn the carriage into ash."

I shrugged nonchalantly, pretending not to notice the pointed look he was giving me.

"It was an ugly carriage anyway."

At that, the corners of his mouth turned upwards, but the strange glint in his eyes remained.

"Careful," he said, offering me his hand to help me get down the stairs. "I designed it."

"Then this explains the sombreness of it."

I wanted to shed tears of joy when my feet finally touched the ground. My legs and back were numb from the long trip that was yet to finish, this stop being already the third one we made. I know we'll pass Caryeva tomorrow and, after another stop, we'll reach the Fold.

And then I'll be prepared, I thought, leaving the Darkling behind.

***

I listened to the crackling of the fire and the sound of murmured conversations while I ate my portion of food. Everyone was seated on logs in a circle, eating peacefully the same herring and bread I was struggling with. Trying not to make a grimace of disgust from the taste of the fish, I watched our little camp. Tents were arranged in a circle around the clear space that we found in the woods, with a black, bigger one in the northen extremity. In the centre of the camp was the fire where we were gathered around to eat or to just chat with each other.