Chapter 7

I woke up in a too white room. The infirmary. But what am I doing... Memories from the last night came into my mind.
I looked at my shoulder, but there was no wound, just a very little sign from that arrow.
When I wanted to get out of bed someone entered the room.
"Alina! I've been worried sick!" Genya shouted.
She hurried to pull me into one of her hugs.
"I'm alright. Now can you please let me go? You're hugging me too tight" I said coughing.
"Sorry." She freed me from her arms. "Now tell me...what happened? The Darkling only said you were attacked. But I want to know everything, by whom and..."
I played the event in my mind again. They were fjerdans. But they had grisha steel. How is that even possible?
"Alina, are you listening?" Genya said interrupting my thoughts.
"Yes. Look, I don't remember the last night very well. I only know we were attacked by fjerdans." I said a half truth and she looked at me suspiciously.
"Were you wearing your kefta?" Genya said knowingly.
I shifted in my seat without replying.
"All right, I understand if you don't want to tell me." She started to move toward the door.
"Genya" I stopped her "it's not that. But I don't even understand exactly what happened."
She turned around and her expresion softened.
"Fine. You know I turst you more than anyone else, but you don't have to deal with problems alone."
"I know." I sent her a silent 'thank you'
She wanted to go but then changed her mind and came closer to me.
"Oh, I almost forgot. Take this." Genya said giving me a piece of paper. With that she left.
I read the words written on it.
Library. In two hours.
Burn this after you read it.

***

I was on my way to the library when I felt the shadows from that hall gathering behind me.
"Where are you going?" The Darkling asked. I wasn't surprised to hear his voice.
I turned around to face him and remained a little shocked. He looked stunning as always, but under his gray eyes were such small black circles that I thought I had imagined them. I looked closer. They were there.
"At the library." I had no reason to lie. Suddenly, I felt the urge to make some fun of him. Besides, he looks perfect everytime. I have that right.
I put a half smile on my face and said "I thought immortal people don't have black circles under their eyes."
He stared at me a little before one of the corners of his mouth raised into another half smile.
"I see you're feeling better" he said.
I nodded. "I wanted to ask you something..." I started hesitantly.
He looked at me waiting for my question.
"Last night, those fjerdans had grisha steel. How is that even possible?" I asked.
The Darkling's face became inexpresive.
"We will talk about this later."
He turned around and left.

I hurried to the library and when I got there Genya was already waiting for me.
"What are we doing here?" I asked curiously.
She started to move toward the stairs. I followed her without asking enything else.
Genya stopped at a table somehow hidden in the shadows of the stairs where two persons were already standing.
"So you've come" a girl said.
"Zoya?" I asked hesitantly.
"That's my name." Zoya said sarcastically. "David is here too."
David was lost in his work. I don't even know if he heard us. Genya sat down and I did the same.
"Why are we here?" I asked again
Zoya looked at me like it was supposted to be obvious.
"We need a plan" she said directly.
"A plan for what?"
She rolled her eyes.
"A plan of how are we going to kill the Darkling."

***

My brain stopped for a second. Maybe I haven't heard well.
"What?" I asked with my voice rising.
"You heard me well. We need to kill the Darkling."
I started to laugh without humor.
"And how are we going to do that?"
Zoya and Genya exchanged a look and then said "We can't kill him in a battle, because we don't have enough people or resources" Genya made a pause and bit her lip "but we thought you could help."
"H-how?" I stumbled into words already making an ideea of how I might help.
"Well, you sleep in the same room as him and..."
"No" I interrupted her. "I can't do that."
"Oh, come on" Zoya was getting annoyed "he is a murderer, a monster..."
"I know" I said frustrated "but I can't. And it's not just that. He would hear me anyway, so this is not going to work."
"Do you have a better plan? Because I can't see other options." Zoya said rolling her eyes again.
I tried to think of something else, but nothing came into my mind. Just think about his weaknesses. His weaknesses? I don't even think he has any.
Memories of him were flashing through my mind. I need something useful. Then I saw us in the forest standing near the lake. The lake. He told me the legend of that water.
"Look at her face. She found something" Genya said cheerfully
"It's...it's just a legend" I said.
Zoya leaned over the table.
"Let's hear it then."

That's an ugly turn of events for the Darkling. Sorry, but I had to do it. Just keep calm and trust my very capable writer hands (very capable haha).
This chapter took more time that I thought it will take. So I owe you an apology.
I just bought a new book so I hope you understand why this chapter took two days instead of one. I'll try to give more time to writing than reading.

That's all for today,
Annie